Staying alive in a winter storm

Posted by: balzaccom

Staying alive in a winter storm - 01/09/19 03:58 PM

We saw this story in the Sierra Sun new outlet. Pretty interesting story about how Wendell Murdock stayed alive in the wilderness overnight during a blizzard. It also got our attention that Mr. Murdock is 80 years old and has a nine year-old son. And his preparation for his hike included a few clothing items we would have done differently. And his use of a brand new GPS app on his phone for navigation apparently didn't help him much...

https://www.sierrasun.com/news/local/thi...ear-lake-tahoe/
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Staying alive in a winter storm - 01/09/19 05:12 PM

You had me at “...80 years old and has a nine-year-old son.” smile

It sounds like he did the most important thing right: staying put. That’s easy to say you’ll do, but when you’re in the middle of being lost, not sure if anyone is coming, and panic is telling to you to “do something, anything,” it’s hard to fight off the urge to keep moving.

A better outcome than anyone would have suspected; kudos to him.
Posted by: tramp

Re: Staying alive in a winter storm - 01/20/19 03:07 PM

Stay warm,stay dry and stay hydrated. Someone is looking for you.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: Staying alive in a winter storm - 05/19/19 07:58 PM

AFter reading the article I thought he was not very well prepared.
He didn't seem to know how to find his way back to his "track" on his GPS device and he was wearing Levis. If he was in snow then why could he not follow his own tracks back the way he came? I doubt he had the ten essentials as it would apply to hiking in the winter alone in those conditions. I'm glad he survived, but I bet he would do things differently if there is a next time.

If you are traveling in difficult conditions in winter by yourself take a sleeping bag and a tent or at minimum, very warm clothing and an emergency bivvy bag. Since my friend died while climbing alone my wife won't let me go out by myself any more...and I agree.