MSR 11 oz fuel bottle packing

Posted by: Marksfps

MSR 11 oz fuel bottle packing - 12/28/18 04:49 PM

Hi!
New here.
I was wondering if anyone has a good tip or trick for packing an 11oz MSR bottle for my whisperlite. I leave the pump in the bottle on trips but don't want to expose any gear to possible leaking. I saw a cool trick someone on YouTube uses for the larger bottles. He used a tennis ball tube and cut the end off to fit just around the bottle for a pretty air tight fit. But the 11oz is too all in diameter for that. I guess a plastic bag of some sort will work, but was wondering if anyone had a cool way to do it.

Thanks in advance!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: MSR 11 oz fuel bottle packing - 12/28/18 05:43 PM

I’m not exactly sure whether you’re asking how to pack the fuel bottle inside another container before putting it in your pack, or how to place it inside your pack.

Back in the days when I used a white-gas stove (I now use Isopro canisters with a canister stove), I had a concern about leaking white gas onto the other gear in my pack. My solution was to carry the fuel bottle in an outside pocket of the pack, vertically, rather than inside the main compartment. I never had a leak.

If you have no choice but carrying it in the main compartment, I’d seal it inside a ziploc freezer bag and make sure I packed it vertically inside the pack.
Posted by: wgiles

Re: MSR 11 oz fuel bottle packing - 12/28/18 09:04 PM

I have yet to find a zipper freezer bag that didn't leak at the corners. I find that Glad bags are less likely to leak than the others. On the other hand, I have yet to have a fuel bottle leak. I would do as you suggest and store it vertically in an outside pocket. I use the zipper bag overpack for detergents and other liquids, but have not had any of those bottles leak. If I am carrying liquid fuel, I think that it is well worth the effort to find some way to carry it upright and out of the way.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: MSR 11 oz fuel bottle packing - 12/28/18 09:43 PM

I never actually used a Ziploc for the fuel bottle - it traveled in an outside pocket, unwrapped. I would have only wrapped it if I were going to store it in the main compartment.

Like you, never had a leak.
Posted by: aimless

Re: MSR 11 oz fuel bottle packing - 12/29/18 11:56 AM

I no longer use a liquid fuel stove, but did for a couple of decades. If the gasket is still good and you take care to tighten the cap properly, the fuel bottle ought not leak at all. Mine never did.
Posted by: Mbphoto

Re: MSR 11 oz fuel bottle packing - 01/18/19 10:06 AM

I would definitely carry it on the outside.

The fuel will likely and very quickly damage everything it touches inside your bag. Also, the Naphtha will probably dissolve your ziploc bag rather quickly if it's not made from solvent-proof material.