Our NPS--very sad

Posted by: balzaccom

Our NPS--very sad - 12/16/18 11:23 AM

Sobering article here by a previous director of the NPS:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/16/ryan-zinke-resignation-jonathan-jarvis
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: Our NPS--very sad - 12/16/18 03:56 PM

Sad indeed. Unfortunately, I suspect we're getting what we, collectively, deserve. Approximately half the voters were gulled into voting the present administration into power, and now we're paying the price.
Posted by: HPD

Re: Our NPS--very sad - 12/17/18 10:30 AM

Very sad indeed!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Our NPS--very sad - 12/22/18 10:52 AM

And now they are shut down!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Our NPS--very sad - 12/22/18 04:50 PM

Again.

How come they’re always the ones getting beat up in what is just a giant game of politics? I’m guessing it’s because shutting down a park or museum is a very public way of saying “give me what I want or I’ll show you!”
Posted by: tramp

Re: Our NPS--very sad - 01/14/19 01:46 PM

Sad Indeed.

When was the last time you laid pen to paper to let your representatives know your wishes? A good citizen's job does not end when exiting the voting booth.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Our NPS--very sad - 01/14/19 02:46 PM

I wrote a letter to my congressional rep a month ago, although it was not regarding national parks. I recommend sending it to your rep's local office rather than to DC and do not use canned text supplied by some organization, unless you use it as a starting place for expressing your own thoughts in your own words.

It is best not to sound too angry, but to be very calm, brief, and clear about what you want and why. The same rules apply to letters To the Editor of your local paper (if it still exists).
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Our NPS--very sad - 01/14/19 05:05 PM

Addition to Aimless' excellent comments: Please send the comments directly to your representative and senators. Working through an organization's website, no matter how much you agree with it, means that all the comments from that website collectively count as only one vote. Unfair, but that's how it's done.

In other words, please don't take the easy way out! It's not that hard! You can easily google the addresses!
Posted by: tramp

Re: Our NPS--very sad - 01/20/19 03:04 PM

And hand written letters mean business. An e-mail is easy.....take the time and effort the subject deserves.