Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol?

Posted by: willie1280

Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/14/18 03:55 PM

I'm going to hike Lake Clark National Park in Alaska in August of this year and plan to bring my Kimber Aegis Elite .45 with me for protection from the critters. I've never carried while backpacking before and I'm curious how ya'll carry yours?

I thought about wearing something like this leather holster but not sure it'll work/feel decent with the pack straps. But it would definitely be easily accessible.

Looking for ideas!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/14/18 05:21 PM

Hell hath no fury like a wounded bear! If you can't hit a charging grizzly in a fatal spot with your first shot, every single time, statistics show that you're far better off to take bear spray instead.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/14/18 07:49 PM

While Alaska does have some critters who can kill you, there aren't any of them that would be much impressed by a pistol. Local guides carry high caliber rifles (and only very rarely have to use them).

Bear spray is very effective, if it's properly deployed, and is generally what is recommended for backpackers.
Posted by: tramp

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/15/18 09:44 AM

Never carried unless hunting and never needed to. That being said never in Alaska. You'll need to find somewhere quick to draw and secure through experimenting. Not to mention practice.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/15/18 01:09 PM

Buy whatever leather holster you want, then put bear spray in it instead of a pistol. That way your bear spray will definitely be easily accessible.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/17/18 09:09 AM

Agree with others on the bear spray. But for pistol carrying, I like Fobus paddle holsters because they are waterproof and clip on just about any belt/waistband. That said, for what you are doing, a Winchester Defender shotgun (or any lightweight riot shotgun) with 00 buck on a shoulder sling would have a better chance against an upset bear or moose.
Posted by: willie1280

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/19/18 12:16 PM

Like i said, i'll be carrying both items.

A buddy recommended i get some +P ammo as that'll pack more punch in the event i need to use it.

I'll have to check out that holster. Without seeing it, would be nice if i could rig that up to my packs chest strap (not sure if it could handle that kinda weight).

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/19/18 12:24 PM

Best of luck hitting that fatal spot on a 35-mph charging bear with your very first pistol shot! Once you've wounded the bear, the spray won't work. At least use the spray (which you did not say you'd be carrying) first.

Note that the spray, at least, should be available on you even when your pack is off.

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/19/18 12:26 PM

Like i said, i'll be carrying both items.

I seem to have missed where you said that, but it sounds like a plan. I also seriously doubt a chest strap could support the weight of your pistol. Your best bet may be confirming the return policy, ordering the holster well in advance of need, then testing it out in the real world.
Posted by: MitchBo

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/28/18 06:40 AM

If a bear is charging at me, I'd sure as heck prefer to have a gun on me rather than not. I don't see your point even though I do agree, a gun might not help you in that situation. But there's also a chance that it might.

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/28/18 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By MitchBo
If a bear is charging at me, I'd sure as heck prefer to have a gun on me rather than not. I don't see your point even though I do agree, a gun might not help you in that situation. But there's also a chance that it might.

If by "a gun" you mean a sidearm, then you are still better off with bear spray. A big part of every task is choosing the right tools.

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/28/18 03:25 PM

If you don't hit the fatal spot (surprisingly small on a rapidly charging grizzly) the very first shot, what you have is an extremely angry wounded grizzly,. Question--are you really that good a shot?

If not, bear spray has all the favorable statistics behind it.

Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 03/29/18 12:18 PM

I wouldn't trust a pistol unless you are sure you can make a head shot. Best bet is a 12 guage slug or triple 0 buck shot
Posted by: Gruxxx

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 04/27/18 02:16 PM

Hill People Gear's Kit Bag will comfortably fit a full sized 1911 + spare magazines, maps, compass, and other odds and ends. It rides on your chest and does not interfere with a backpack's shoulder straps or waistbelt.
Posted by: troutstalker

Re: Packing heat...how do you carry your pistol? - 06/03/18 12:37 PM

I use a cheap hip holster that I think I got at walmart. Synthetic and lightweight. I carry it on my sternum strap though. I put the strap through the belt loop on the holster. Spray is great though and should be used first, as it will deter a charging bear because the stinging they feel is intense.