Gaiters

Posted by: Ed G

Gaiters - 01/28/18 02:23 PM

I'm shopping around for a pair of gaiters for a small hike on the A.T. soon. I've checked a lot of sites and read the reviews. Some claim to be waterproof AND breathable, but the reviews say some of the claims are misleading. Does anyone have experience with a pair that are waterproof and breathable that will also withstand some minor abuse from the rocks and what not that's found on the trail?
Posted by: aimless

Re: Gaiters - 01/28/18 02:38 PM

How hot and sweaty are your feet really going to get on a hike in February? iow, waterproofness would be a worthwhile feature and breathability seems highly expendable. In contrast, if I were hiking in hot weather, I would throw aside waterproofness as a feature and settle for highly breathable gaiters.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Gaiters - 01/29/18 12:08 PM

Agree with Aimless. To me, the two most important factors for winter gaiters: are they waterproof? Will then stay down around my ankle instead of riding up to expose the top of my footwear?
Posted by: troutstalker

Re: Gaiters - 06/03/18 01:39 PM

Not sure what time of year you want to use them for but if it is in warmer weather and you just want something to keep rocks and debris out of your boots, then dirty girl gaiters are awesome for that. Especially if you're hiking long distances and weight is an issue.