West Coast Trail Tent

Posted by: ExPatTrek

West Coast Trail Tent - 01/24/18 10:21 AM

New to this site, so not sure if I'm posting this in the right topic area but I'm looking for some help on a 2 person tent selection.

The wife and I are hiking the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island this July and I'm looking for a new two person tent without breaking the bank for the trek. I'm 6'2'' she is 5'6''.

I have been researching and I have two that I think are good options, but wanted to get others opinions on these or if they have other suggestions.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Kelty for the fly roll back and less weight. appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

1. REI Co-OP Half Dome 2 Plus - $199 USD
Weight - 5lbs 7 oz
96 x 56 inches
Canopy Fabric - 40-denier ripstop nylon/20-denier nylon mesh
Freestanding

2. Kelty TraiLogic TN2 - $250 USD
Weight - 4lbs 13 oz
83 x 50
Canopy Fabric - 15-denier no-see-um mesh
Posted by: BZH

Re: West Coast Trail Tent - 01/25/18 07:58 PM

Kelty and REI store brand are good equipment for budget conscious people. I use a ~4lb Kelty 2-person tent and like it a lot. My next 2-person tent I am going to aim for under 3 lbs. The half-dome is a pretty heavy tent for backpacking, the Kelty is better, but I would aim lower. You might want to check out the Kelty Horizon 2.

My 4-person family backpacking tent is a Tarptent and I really like it. Will probably buy my next backpacking tent from them. In comparison, my 4-person Hogback weighs less than that Kelty!. Most of there 2-person tents are a bit over $300, but they have the Double Rainbow and MoTrail down in the Kelty's price range. You need trekking poles to setup to MoTrail but its just over 2 lbs.

Over at REI, you might want to checkout:
https://www.rei.com/product/895956/big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-ul-2-mtnglo-tent

it is on clearance for a great price, though it may be a bit cramped compared to the other tents mentioned.
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: West Coast Trail Tent - 03/09/18 04:21 AM

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 might be a possibility (and, of course, available on this site smile

I have the older version and have been very happy with it.

Maybe the Eureka Spitfire 2. I just bought a Spitfire 1, but haven't used it yet. I have used other Eureka tents, and they generally tend to be functional and a good value.