Osprey Manta 28 s/m or m/l preferences for 18"

Posted by: johnnyk

Osprey Manta 28 s/m or m/l preferences for 18" - 09/27/17 11:21 AM

I bought both sizes and I am on the fence with the M/L (18-21). I am 18"/175lb/5'11 and having just tried on the S/M (16-19), it feels pretty snug. A tad high on the hip and not much play with the shoulder straps etc.

New to Osprey. My summer pack is a camel 22L and winter is a 35 Gregory. So the I am in different territory.

Looking to add abit more weight for alpine endeavors which brought me to the AG.

Anyone have any experience with this model? thanks! J
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Osprey Manta 28 s/m or m/l preferences for 18" - 09/27/17 01:29 PM

Question--are you trying the packs fully loaded with your gear? That should be the critical test--load the pack with your gear (remember to include the equivalent in weight/bulk for food and water) and do a couple hours' hike around the house--or around the neighborhood if it's a nice day and you can keep the pack clean. Of course, don't remove the tags.

The most important aspects of a pack are fit, fit and fit! Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, so what works for one person may be awful for another. I won't recommend a make or model of pack any more than I recommend shoes! For me personally, my hips and Osprey hip belts are completely incompatible, but that may not be true for you.

As a general rule, if you are an in-between size, you are better with the larger size. From your description of your S/M tryout, it sounds as though the size decision has been made, assuming that the larger size is comfortable when loaded with your gear.

If you are "on the fence" with the larger size, and since the smaller size is definitely too small, I strongly recomment trying a few other makes/models to see if there's something that works better for you.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Osprey Manta 28 s/m or m/l preferences for 18" - 09/27/17 04:12 PM

I agree with OM it sounds like you should go up. If it's a bit high and snug when you first put it on, how is it going to feel after hiking around for a few hours and things loosen up sit lower?