Has anyone here backpacked sawtooth wilderness

Posted by: toddfw2003

Has anyone here backpacked sawtooth wilderness - 07/19/17 09:13 AM

I am doing the alice lake, toxiway lake loop. There is a pass between alice lake and toxiway lake. How much exposure is there on that pass. Is it a vertical drop next to the trail or just a slope. Hard to tell from video. It looks pretty steep on a topo map. Im not a big fan of heights but if the slope looks like something you could scramble down instead of fall i would be ok
Posted by: keltyretro

Re: Has anyone here backpacked sawtooth wilderness - 07/21/17 02:42 PM

Here's a link to a good description of the loop. It's a very popular hike, and as long as you don't try bushwhacking a short-cut, you should be fine.

Yes, the topography gets very steep up high, but along the trail it's pretty safe. Just about any trail in the Sawtooths makes a superb hike!

https://rootsrated.com/boise-id/backpacking-camping/toxaway-to-alice-lake-loop

Re: Has anyone here backpacked sawtooth wilderness - 07/21/17 08:35 PM

I think the videos of the pass makes it look worse than it is. Looks like a two foot wide trail and then a shear cliff. I will check it out. I plan to come in on the Toxiway lake side of the loop. If there exposure is too much I can go to the Lake around Edna lake. That pass doesnt look as shear from the topo maps. I am also spending 4 days in yellowstone. I almost want to skip yellowstone and spend the whole time in the Sawtooths
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Has anyone here backpacked sawtooth wilderness - 07/21/17 09:53 PM

I did a 90-mile loop in the Sawtooths, and loved it. Will do it again, I liked it that much. While I didn't do the loop you're talking about so can't comment specifically, there was never any time over any pass that I felt uncomfortable.

Re: Has anyone here backpacked sawtooth wilderness - 07/21/17 10:26 PM

I have never hiked it. But from from the pictures,it may be prettier than my backpacking trip in the canadian,Rockies
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Has anyone here backpacked sawtooth wilderness - 07/22/17 12:32 AM

I hope we'll see a trip report afterwards, hint, hint. Please?

Re: Has anyone here backpacked sawtooth wilderness - 07/22/17 01:02 AM

Absolutely!! OregonMouse I will have lots of pictures too