Does anyone still offer print catalogs?!

Posted by: willie1280

Does anyone still offer print catalogs?! - 07/06/17 11:40 AM

So, i spend my entire day typically staring at a computer screen for work. When i'm not at work, i prefer not to still be staring at a screen. So my question is, who still offers print catalogs that are related to backpacking/camping?

I enjoy looking, dreaming, drooling over current products/equipment the old fashion way smile
Posted by: aimless

Re: Does anyone still offer print catalogs?! - 07/06/17 12:16 PM

I've received print catalogs from Montbell in recent years, but not this year.

Re: Does anyone still offer print catalogs?! - 07/06/17 12:24 PM

Big Agness is the only one i've gotten recently aside from Cabelas.

I just learned yesterday that Moosejaw will no longer be doing catalogs now due to their acquisition by WalMart frown
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Does anyone still offer print catalogs?! - 07/06/17 03:38 PM

For general dreaming, Campmor does - though it's still in the endearing line-drawings-on-newsprint-paper that was so popular back in the 90's (1890's, just to be clear.)

REI, LL Bean, Moosejaw and other retailers still send seasonal, by-interest, or other abbreviated catalogs, but none that I know of offer full-range print catalogs.

I've been able to pick up reasonably complete-line catalogs from Outdoor Reasearch, Big Agnes, and other gear makers at my local backpacking shop.

Beyond that, you're about a generation too late.

Re: Does anyone still offer print catalogs?! - 07/07/17 08:50 AM

Campmor and REI no longer do print catalogs either frown

Re: Does anyone still offer print catalogs?! - 07/07/17 12:28 PM

No Campmor catalog!?!?! I suppose that just proves the country has gone to hell under Trump. smile

Another icon gone, I'm afraid. Next thing you'll tell me is that National Geographic is thinking about going to an online publication!

Re: Does anyone still offer print catalogs?! - 07/07/17 01:04 PM

I can see the financial aspect of it along with the sheer amount of products coming out, but it still stinks. I'm only 37 but i can remember looking at Campmor as far back as memory goes. Thinking of the Campmor catalog, i vaguely remember some other weird catalog i used to get when i was younger..... you could buy blow dart guns, throwing stars, night vision stuff, etc. all kinds of stuff that parents today would go bonkers over. I sure miss the good 'ol days!

Re: Does anyone still offer print catalogs?! - 07/07/17 07:30 PM

In the words of Carly Simon: "THESE are the good old days."

As much as I also miss catalogs, I'll willingly trade them for the easy availability of gear that is so much better than what we carried 30 or 40 years ago.

There is one thing that online "catalogs" have that old print catalogs didn't: user reviews. Granted, 75% are worthless ("This pack rocks!" And other 3 or 4 word "reviews.") However, the rest often contain significant performance and design information that isn't in the product descriptions (which, like catalogs, are mostly marketing hype.) There are also multiple photos of most products, and some 360-degree rotatable pictures that I find very informative.

Excuse me - I need to go chase some crummy kids off my yard. (I became legally empowered to do so two birthdays ago.) smile