which is better StS reactor or Sol Escape

Posted by: toddfw2003

which is better StS reactor or Sol Escape - 02/26/17 09:13 PM

I am backpacking in southern Utah at the beginning of April. Night time temps can drop into the low 20's. I have an EE revelation 20 and a Thermarest Xtherm pad. Im a cold sleeper. Last night it got down to 35 on and over night weekend trip but I am not sure how well the quilt will do in the low 20's. I was wondering which would be better. A sea to summit reactor or a sol escape bivy to put the pad and quilt in. IM not to worried about condensation. will keep my face out of the bivy. They both weigh 8 oz
Posted by: BZH

Re: which is better StS reactor or Sol Escape - 02/27/17 11:29 AM

The reactor is a bag liner. I don't use one, but have heard quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that they don't provide much warmth.

The sol bivy should add warmth, but they seem to be designed for emergency use. I'm not sure how well it would survive regular use.
Posted by: DustinV

Re: which is better StS reactor or Sol Escape - 02/27/17 02:31 PM

I happen to have both Reactor and SOL bivy. I've used the bivy once over my bag and pad during some unexpected snow/rain. It worked really well to add a few degrees of warmth for that night. However, I did experience some loss of loft in my bag by morning, so I wouldn't want to use it for more than a day or two at a time.

However, the old Reactor I have was billed as adding 15 degrees of warmth, but on a separate occasion when I used it, I wouldn't say that it added that much. The one I have is essentially a very loosely knit fabric. It also wound around me during the night and stuck to my clothes, which was kind of frustrating.

If I had to pick the two, I'd go with the bivy. But you might see if you can slip it inside the bag --after reading up on vapor barrier liners.

But better yet, if you have some time to research, try to find a light and simple bivy that will breathe, since it sounds like you're after something that blocks drafts.