Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips?

Posted by: Ian Campbell

Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/09/16 05:49 PM

I've always got a flask of whiskey on me - do you bring booze with you on your backpacking trips? What's your go to?
Posted by: BZH

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/09/16 07:54 PM

a little Irish Cream for coffee or maybe a nip of Bourbon before bedtime.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/09/16 09:15 PM

We usually bring an airline mini for each night...but each night is a different tipple, just for fun.

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/10/16 11:15 AM

I don't drink a whole lot of alcohol. I usually buy alcohol at the grocery store but it usually only comes in 750 ml or larger containers. Maybe I am naive but I recently discovered that neighborhood liquor stores have lots of stuff in little bottles that are nice for backpacking.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/10/16 03:35 PM

Yup...good bourbon or 100% agave tequila. 1/2 pt. Platypus is perfect for it.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/10/16 03:42 PM

Nope, I'm back to being a teetotaler again. I walked the West Highland Way last July, basically from pub to pub, and enjoyed the various beers, IPA's and ales that I drank. But aside from that interlude I have been an abstainer for most of the last 40 years and plan to stay that way.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/10/16 04:45 PM

When at home, I enjoy a beer or a glass of wine with the best of them, but I've never felt the desire to imbibe when out in the woods. Just my surroundings are enough to relax me and make me feel good without adding booze to the mix.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/10/16 05:51 PM

No, I've just never felt a need for it. (I also don't drink "in civilization" either; no moral convictions - it just never appealed to me, except for an occasional beer with pizza or wine with spaghetti. Gave that up, though, as part of controlling diabetes without medication.)

I don't object when my close circle of hiking friends bring along a spot of refreshment; I know they can handle it appropriately. If the group I'm going with isn't known to me, I ask about group policy or intent, and make a decision I'm comfortable with.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/11/16 08:06 PM

Similarly to OregonMouse, I'll drink a glass of wine with dinner just about every night when I am at home or if I am eating in a restaurant. When I'm car camping I'll drink wine or beer very infrequently, maybe one night in twenty. When I am backpacking, never.
Posted by: Snappypepper

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/14/16 01:15 PM

I usually bring an airplane bottle or two of vodka or Fireball. Sometimes it gets carried back home, sometimes only the empty bottles make it home. I enjoy it mostly when it's cold and a little nip helps take the edge off the chill. But I would not feel comfortable drinking to the point of being inebriated since I'm out there to enjoy nature and also feel like I need to keep my wits about me to stay safe!
Posted by: ndsol

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/15/16 01:08 PM

I didn't use to, but generally do now (although only for medicinal purposes. grin) "During the prohibition period in the U.S., Laphroaig was the only whisky legally imported into the country. Apparently, due to the distinct smell of iodine characteristic of the spirit, customs officials could easily be persuaded that the liquid was in fact medicinal."
Posted by: Franco

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/15/16 06:39 PM

I usually buy alcohol at the grocery store but it usually only comes in 750 ml or larger containers.[b][/b]
I have heard that some have managed to transfer some alcohol from 750ml bottles into smaller containers...

Almost never in "3 season" but on my winter trips I liked to have a nip of brandy with my very chocolaty hot chocolate at bed time.
I use the smaller solid Nalgene containers for that.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/15/16 08:36 PM

Usually a bit of single malt. I have a dram or so in the evening after dinner - and usually carry enough to share with a few others.

I'm going to have fun this weekend though. Doing a short 2-night trip with a few folks, I'm bringing a small bit of wine to have with my Friday dinner (pasta beef bolognese), and small bit of sake to have with my Saturday dinner (salmon chowder), and a small bit of single malt as an apertif both nights. I even have a nice titanium sake cup for the wine and sake (though the single malt will inhabit the titanium sake bottle).

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/16/16 09:24 AM

Ok--but what KIND of wine? Grand Cru Burgundy or Hearty Burgundy?
Posted by: BrRabbit

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/19/16 03:19 PM

It depends and I have ventured backpacking for days without any booze frown

But if the trip is not really challenging, I will do my best to grab some booze. Either some boxed red wine, or Sailor Jerry rum.

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/24/16 09:29 PM

It was a Merlot, actually. :-)
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/24/16 10:39 PM

I generally bring a pint of IPA in a can for each of the 1st two nights and that's it. I won't lug anymore than that along but I do plan trips that take me wandering back to my car where I can grab a couple more and keep on exploring if I want.

We're only a month away from our prime backpacking season here. The creeks are still running pretty good too so that should help make it a great season. I'm sure ready for some time in the forests.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 10/17/16 08:11 PM

Recently I took along a 5 ounces of Scotch Whisky and had an ounce after dinner each night. It was very pleasant to have it along and I think I enjoyed the evenings looking forward to my wee nip each night. (Famous Grouse; and quite good for a blended malt).
Posted by: Zuuk

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 10/18/16 11:53 AM

A lesson I learned many years ago golfing... 12 cans of beer weighs a lot less than 12 bottles! especially on the back nine. Oh to be young & foolish again.

I used to grab a pint of Fireball (hot cinnamon whiskey) to take with me, and while I still enjoy a sip now and again, I find it gives me heartburn now. As I've gotten older, the sips have been getting smaller. I doubt I would bother to take anything now. A good cup of coffee, hot chocolate or tea works for me just as well as a sip would.
Posted by: Stark

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 10/31/16 10:19 AM

There's nothing better than a nice whiskey at the end of a long day.
Posted by: Linden M

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 11/01/16 02:11 PM

I bring EverClear "Grain Alcohol" to save weight when backpacking.
I then mix some Kool-Aid with my filtered water for a mixed drink. I do this in moderation of course.
Posted by: HPD

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 01/30/17 09:56 AM

I usually bring something for that end of the day, relaxation time. Whiskey, scotch or brandy usually. Thought about taking 151 rum but decided against it after reading the warning label about having it near fire! It is heavy though, but still worth it if you're into it.
Has anybody ever tried Palcohol? I'm not aware of it being available yet, at least not around my neck of the woods. Still waiting for freeze-dried beer to be invented!!

However, the legalization of some previously illegal organics has opened the door to truly lightweight options! wink

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 01/30/17 11:35 AM

The thing about Palcohol is that everclear is the most dehyrdated form of alcohol you can get (~5% water). Whatever they do to solidify the alcohol must include adding something to it. Palcohol is not dehydrated alcohol it is solidified alcohol. It cannot be lighter than everclear.

In terms of beer: https://www.patsbcb.com/
Posted by: wgiles

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 01/30/17 01:29 PM

Here is an article about powdered alcohol.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-big-deal-about-powdered-alcohol/

It appears to use sugars as an absorbent.

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 02/02/17 11:28 AM

Very interesting, thanks BZH & wgiles!!
I did find a place in town that supposedly sells the Backcountry Beverage product. I'll have to check that out. The article on "powdered" alcohol says that one would need a 1/2 cup of Palchohol to make a drink, which doesn't sound too efficient in terms of weight & bulk.
I guess the "old ways" are still the best!
Posted by: Dia

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 02/08/17 03:35 PM

I have in the past, but not so much anymore. I am mainly a wine drinker, so when I did it was usually chardonnay or white zinfandel. But I think that was for my younger days.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 02/08/17 03:43 PM

I haven't ever brought alcohol on a backpacking trip, or any camping or hiking trip, not the drinkable kind anyway. I'm not totally opposed to the idea; I just don't typically drink that much. If I ever did, I think I'd bring a small amount of everclear and mix it with kool-aid. That's the lightest thing I can think of short of drinking straight everclear (no thanks).
Posted by: Va3Pinner

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 02/27/17 07:37 PM

Yes, there's a nice little distillery in Sperryville VA that makes an excellent single malt and Rye. One or the other is always a treat after dinner, and much like Franco, sometimes mixed in my wicked hot chocolate ; or maybe accompanied by some Creme Brule.........
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 02/27/17 11:12 PM

While I don't take booze backpacking, I've found that at home on a cold winter night, there's nothing like hot chocolate with a shot of peppermint schnapps added!

As mentioned before, I get enough of a "high" being out in the wilderness that I don't need to ingest anything.

HPD, since those "organics" are still illegal under Federal law, it's not a good idea even to have them in your possession, much less using them, on Federal lands! The local sheriff may not care, but your friendly USFS or NPS ranger will definitely arrest you, and it doesn't matter if the federal land is in a state that has legalized those substances.

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 03/06/17 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
While I don't take booze backpacking, I've found that at home on a cold winter night, there's nothing like hot chocolate with a shot of peppermint schnapps added!

As mentioned before, I get enough of a "high" being out in the wilderness that I don't need to ingest anything.

HPD, since those "organics" are still illegal under Federal law, it's not a good idea even to have them in your possession, much less using them, on Federal lands! The local sheriff may not care, but your friendly USFS or NPS ranger will definitely arrest you, and it doesn't matter if the federal land is in a state that has legalized those substances.

Well aware of that Mouse. I've been a outlaw all my life, too late to chage now. smirk

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 03/06/17 07:29 PM

And, of course, your case will be heard in federal court, not a state or local court.
Posted by: rodwha

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 03/06/17 09:30 PM

We have on occasion brought something to drink. Recently SWMBO bought us two flasks that are similar to a Platypus. I put rye whiskey in mine, and she put rum in hers to mix with some sort of powdered drink mix that she said wasn't so good.

I brew beer and am near to trying my hand at mead and wine, and bought some plastic bottles meant for Mr Beer just for this or the lake.

We've also bought some cheap Merlot that comes in a container kind of like a kid's drink box that was ok. Much better than a glass bottle!

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 03/14/17 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

I know HPD has responded, but I thought I'd add that it goes beyond federal lands. It's important to those considering to know the laws of their state. While states have legalized personal pot use, some only allow it in private. In Washington, while private consumption is not against state law, public consumption is subject to a civil violation and fine. Just know your laws.

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 03/20/17 09:40 AM

True enough. Here, as in Washington, you can buy it but you can't legally use it anywhere, but in the privacy of your property/home.
Posted by: GregoryCheve

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 07/20/18 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By Ian Campbell
I've always got a flask of whiskey on me - do you bring booze with you on your backpacking trips? What's your go to?

Me too. Johnnie Walker Black Label is my best friend during my backpacking trips.

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 07/20/18 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By GregoryCheve
Originally Posted By Ian Campbell

Me too. Johnnie Walker Black Label is my best friend during my backpacking trips.

Appropriately named!
Posted by: wildnfree

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 08/27/18 03:37 AM

Nope and I've never seen anyone who brings wine or any kinds of alcohol while on the trails.
Posted by: James Clark

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 10/15/18 04:08 AM

It's a fine companion. I always take it on my camping trips too.
Posted by: Jim M

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 10/30/18 12:05 PM

A wee dram of scotch. It aids digestion after dinner.
Posted by: Matt Miller

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 11/14/18 02:19 AM

A flask of whiskey. Mostly Everclear with some Kool Aid.
Posted by: Ferguson

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 11/23/18 05:44 AM

I need to have my flask with me when I go on a backpacking trip. Nothing better than taking a sip or two while you're resting after a few hours of walking/hiking. haha
Posted by: osborn ronal

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 06/24/19 07:05 AM

depends what season.
Posted by: Daniel Phill

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 12/28/19 06:16 AM

When I am at home, I drink beer or a glass of wine, but I never felt the urge to drink when in the woods.
Posted by: Acetabulum

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 01/31/20 04:12 PM

I don't bring alcohol on my backpacking trips, one thing I must bring though is coffee, can't go without it.
Posted by: Lonerock

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 01/31/20 08:04 PM

I've on occasion brought some wine, depending on my dinner menu for the trip. At home I'll often have a beer or glass of wine, again depending on my dinner menu. Sometimes wouldn't mind a cold beer after backpacking on a hot day but can't justify the weight(all that ice to keep the beer really cold).
Posted by: ToddGuy

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/15/21 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By osborns ronal
depends what season.

I am somewhat concerned over the trend lately by some backpackers who feel the need to bring alcoholic beverages and or drugs
Posted by: tramp

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/15/21 02:20 PM

Trend lately? Been that way as long as I can remember. And I'm old.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/15/21 09:22 PM

No but…

Hilarious thread. Three people signed up for this forum only to post to this one topic. Some utter self righteousness about as well… lol
Posted by: DustinV

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/16/21 03:55 PM

I clicked on this topic to see if anyone had tried any of the instant/dehydrated/concentrated beverages that I've seen pop up recently. The idea of not carrying the water weight up a mountain is interesting.

Having a cold beer after a long hike sounds pretty nice, but I don't want to haul a little packet up a mountain just to find out that it tastes awful and that I'll have a gooey mess in my bear can. I was hoping someone else had done it first and had thoughts or recommendations.
Posted by: UrbanYeti

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 09/24/21 11:54 AM

I keep a flask of akvavit in my first-aid kit for emergencies.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 10/01/21 04:46 PM

I think my entire FAK is about the size of a flask or less.
Posted by: Keirv87

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 10/05/21 04:34 AM

Nice..
I don't carry alcohol but yeah, coffee is always in my backpack.
Posted by: tramp

Re: Do You Bring Booze on your Backpacking Trips? - 10/05/21 09:02 AM

Originally Posted By Keirv87
Nice..
I don't carry alcohol but yeah, coffee is always in my backpack.

Coffee? Without question. laugh