Google "Street View" on the Trail

Posted by: Ian Campbell

Google "Street View" on the Trail - 07/19/16 12:47 PM

So I was recently made aware of this and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it...

Apparently Google is equipping "Trekkers" to go out into the backcountry and get street view style 360 photos of the trails that we all love to hike. On the one hand, it could have a great affect on the backcountry world and possibly even getting people to be more proactive in protecting our beautiful backcountry.

On the other hand, if it draws a bunch of people out onto the trail who don't know anything about LNT it could really have a negative impact on it.

I'm curious to hear what you think...
Posted by: Barefoot Friar

Re: Google "Street View" on the Trail - 07/19/16 01:29 PM

Sorry, but... How much does the equipment weigh? wink

I don't think it will have much impact. Most people are too lazy to go out too far.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Google "Street View" on the Trail - 07/20/16 10:33 AM

we were all newbs at one point (and some of us still are!). I've never been a big fan of the trying to prevent people from doing what I love to do. Sure I hate crowds on the trail, but the more people getting out there the more likely the government will be to put in the effort to preserve and maintain the environment. If excessive crowds is having a negative impact, the forest services usually step in and create ways of limiting access.

I have found there are always places people are not crowded.. I try to find those places.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Google "Street View" on the Trail - 07/20/16 11:43 AM

I've seen pics of their backpack, camera poking up like an alien along for the ride.

At some point I'll be reduced to hiking in my mind and will be happy to have virtual trails to wander. In the meantime if it gets more folks out there to experience the real thing, it keeps hiking and backpacking in the fore of wilderness use considerations. Fewer cattle and ATVs and loggers.

Cheers,
Posted by: aimless

Re: Google "Street View" on the Trail - 07/20/16 01:21 PM

The only drawback I can think of offhand is that Google will certainly choose to photograph the most popular trails in the most popular places, the trails the most people have heard of and be curious about, leading to more clicks and more time spent on Google, so if this feature were to result in more hikers on trails it would aim them squarely at places that are already overrun with crowds, like the JMT or GSMNP.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Google "Street View" on the Trail - 07/23/16 08:17 PM

I've been following online trails for years. Street view just enhances the view. I typically do it after I hike, going back to see what I missed or what was near by. Kinda fun virtually hiking when you can't actually be there. grin

Re: Google "Street View" on the Trail - 07/26/16 12:08 PM

That's a cool way to use a system like that - hadn't thought about that before - it could definitely help me see the full picture after I've been there...

I brought a GoPro out scuba diving with me one time and it caught a shark that swam about 10 feet away from me that I completely missed because I was too focused on other things. I suppose this could really do the same kind of thing.

Re: Google "Street View" on the Trail - 07/26/16 12:10 PM

That's a good point and I'm all about getting more people interested in the backcountry.