Mid May 4 Weeks Trail Decision

Posted by: McMayhem

Mid May 4 Weeks Trail Decision - 04/02/16 10:39 PM

Hey everyone,

First time posting here, I was looking for some advice on trail selection. I'm just about to graduate architecture school at the beginning of May and before I start work I wanted to get away and get myself grounded out on the trail. I'm planning on doing 3 to 4 weeks out on the trail starting out in mid May. The issue is Snow. I wanted to hike a section of CDT, the Colorado Trail (starting at the San Juan Mountains) or the John Muir Trail. I know from my research that these trails will still have a good bit of snow on them at my start date. I wanted to ask the board if anyone had any advice or suggestions about which trail I should hike or any other good alternatives. I thought about hiking somewhere in the southeast on the Appalachian Trail but I've already hiked there and was looking for a substantial trail West of the Mississippi River.
Posted by: toddfw2003

Re: Mid May 4 Weeks Trail Decision - 04/03/16 01:39 PM

Hit the Escalante river in Utah. Lots of side canyons to hike. this can be an over night trip or a two week trip. You can catch the trail head where HW 12 crosses the river between escalante and Boulder, utah.
Posted by: McMayhem

Re: Mid May 4 Weeks Trail Decision - 04/03/16 05:28 PM

Hey toddw2003 Just looked at some more photos of Escalante River it looks amazing I've never heard of it before. Do you know if it connects up with any trail system I was hoping to do around 21 to 28 days on a trail.

Re: Mid May 4 Weeks Trail Decision - 04/03/16 07:03 PM

You could spend a month in the escalante. Its full of trails on side canyons. From Escalante down to Lake Powell is about 120 miles. Plus the side canyons. Looks up death hollow, Coyote gulch, Halls narrows, Scorpion gulch. The Gulch, Boulder canyon, Sand creek. These are just a few. Its all full of trails. I will be there in May as well. Plus tons of slot canyons.

Considering this is extremely remote you would need to cache food. Once you are in you wont see civilization the entire trip. Just the occasional backpacker

Re: Mid May 4 Weeks Trail Decision - 04/03/16 07:27 PM

this a video a friend of mine made backpacking the escalante. This will give you awn idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln9ZwlX0-qQ