Platypus Wine Bladders

Posted by: rodwha

Platypus Wine Bladders - 02/20/16 05:09 PM

Had anyone used these? I'm a bit skeptical that wine will still be good beyond 3 days after pouring.

I'm also curious how hard these are to clean.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Platypus Wine Bladders - 02/20/16 11:23 PM

I have one. They aren't that hard to clean....just rinse out thoroughly.

As for the wine inside---I'd recommend something relatively youthful, because you are basically decanting it into the bladder. And then squeeze the bag as you drink the wine, to eliminate excess air in the wine.

And you're right. By the third night, the wine will start to show a bit of oxidation---you're shaking it with the air as you take every step on the hike.

Still, it's better than not drinking wine!
Posted by: rodwha

Re: Platypus Wine Bladders - 02/21/16 12:03 PM

Wine vs none: Agreed!

I've read MANY bad reviews, especially leaking, but also poor customer service. On another forum these were recommended as they've worked quite well and do have great customer service to boot:

http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/flasks.aspx
Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

Re: Platypus Wine Bladders - 02/21/16 03:46 PM

the link is not for Platypus containers......although they do look similar. I look at all online recommendations as suspicious....it's just the sceptic in me
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Platypus Wine Bladders - 02/21/16 03:46 PM

Am thoroughly amused at the possibility of wine lasting to night 3 (although maybe I'm not allowing for more than one). grin

I have a couple of these and they work as promised. They don't flavor the wine, they don't leak and they stow easily with the food.

Even though they don't flavor wine in a way I notice, they do seem to retain a bit of wine flavor if used as water storage afterwards. They also take forever to dry out, but that's common to all narrow-mouth containers.

The no-cost alternative is a drinking water bottle, collapsed enough to evacuate any air. PET doesn't seem to flavor wine, either. Use once and recycle at home.

Cheers,