Apps for hikers

Posted by: Alx

Apps for hikers - 01/18/16 05:12 AM

Hi there!

Could you share some knowledge about the apps and IT tools you use for hiking and outdoor activities?
Anything to organise group activities during the preparation period?

Has anyone used Pack With Me app for iPhone ?

It says that provides proven gear lists for different kinds of hikes, really?
Posted by: Nicolas

Re: Apps for hikers - 01/20/16 07:45 AM

Never tried Pack With Me app, but I do use several others for hiking. I hope you'll find them helpful:
-SAS Survival Guide - includes a lot of essential tips for different kinds of situations;
-AccuWeather - quite precise hourly weather forecasts;
- Spyglass - my fav gps app, it’s crammed with all that necessary data like gps coordinates, current azimuth, altitude, speed, potential arrival time to your target and much more. works offline.
Posted by: Cairn

Re: Apps for hikers - 01/20/16 05:20 PM

I want to let you know about an iPhone app that I've been working on called Cairn. It shows you where other hikers have found coverage in the backcountry, so you know before you go (and on the trail) where you might be able to find coverage. It also makes it easy to send out plans to your emergency contacts and automatically notifies them if you don't return on time.

I'd love feedback on this app, as we are just now working out what features to build next.

Posted by: Garage Sale

Re: Apps for hikers - 01/21/16 11:44 AM

I use motionx gps app as a backup to my gps. Map and compas still always come.

Gear lists are highly personalized, are you interested in ultra light hiking or are you willing to carry more weight ?. Lots of them on the web, download them all, take what you want from each one. Mine are all on paper, I like to leave a list of what I have with my itinerary but you could get a make your own checklist app and enter the data there.
Posted by: Alx

Re: Apps for hikers - 01/27/16 11:00 AM

Hello!

As for the gear list app - I've just tried Pack With Me on a weekend winter hike last week. Customised one of the lists, at least it helped me not to forget anything while packing as my stuff is everywhere around my apartment smile

Are there any sites or apps that show where hikers or groups go in real time?
Wanted to travel by myself but have met two other groups at the same place.