Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail?

Posted by: Aragon

Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/14/15 08:15 PM

Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail especially on shaded paths and/or at twilight?

As I was descending from the mountain that I crashed and burned on two weeks ago, I took off my sunglasses as it was nearing twilight and I was walking in a shaded area.

I decided to put on my yellow-shaded shooting glasses. WOW! Talk about adding a lot of detail/distinction to what I was seeing. Is this common in hiking/climbing (outside of snow) or did I invent something new? wink
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/14/15 09:08 PM

Sounds like something I want to try!
Posted by: the-gr8t-waldo

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/16/15 04:24 PM

works great in low light environs. but there's a trade off- the whole world looks psychedelic....I used a yellow face shield for motorcycle but gave up on the altered view... just too weird to enjoy.

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/16/15 09:42 PM

I tried them again and I'm really sold on using yellow-tinted eyeglasses in shady/low-light situations.

Normally I used them in cloudy/hazy shooting competition environments, where they also work well. The big downside is the odd "Hunter Thompson" look to them. In shooting circles they're common. I have yet to see another pair on the trail however.

For what it's worth, good yellow-tinted sunglasses should in no way create a "psychedelic" view. By blocking blue light they enhance contrast and depth perception in low-light conditions...
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/17/15 07:06 AM

I love crepuscular light conditions, so would never alter their appearance. I've used yellow and amber polarized lenses fishing, but generally take them off when walking away from a river. I understand they would be a help if you have a depth perception problem, but I see no real gain for myself. Then again, I've spent a fair amount of time hiking by moonlight. I haven't seen anyone on the trail ever using them, or ever heard of it, outside of skiing. It could be a great thing for those that are visually challenged in low light conditions. I don't know if you'll start a new trend of trail eye wear, but maybe....
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/17/15 09:12 PM

I've tried them a few times, but I can't say in low light conditions.

I've heard about the increase contrast and depth perception with yellow glasses, but I don't really see that with them, and I don't like they way they change colors. After just a bit they annoy me and I just can't wear them, and some of them were high-end shooting glasses.

I have thought about getting some protective clear glasses for bushwhacking though, the kind landscapers use look like they'd work good. Sunglasses don't work very good for that.

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/17/15 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By bluefish
I love crepuscular light conditions

Me too!! (now that I've looked it up blush ).

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/18/15 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By billstephenson

I've heard about the increase contrast and depth perception with yellow glasses, but I don't really see that with them, and I don't like they way they change colors. After just a bit they annoy me and I just can't wear them, and some of them were high-end shooting glasses.

I have thought about getting some protective clear glasses for bushwhacking though, the kind landscapers use look like they'd work good. Sunglasses don't work very good for that.

That's the whole point...

I don't care for yellow-tinted lenses in clear/bright sunlight. But in foggy/hazy/low-light conditions they're sweet. They don't change the "color" of anything in such conditions. They simply magnify perceptible contrast/detail by blocking out blue light.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/18/15 10:43 AM

I've used them at time. I didn't think they made a huge difference compared to other sunglasses. But YMMV.

I seem to remember something about Japanese pilots in WWII preferring amber lights in the cockpit because they preserved night vision better. Of course, red would be even better!

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/18/15 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By balzaccom
I've used them at time. I didn't think they made a huge difference compared to other sunglasses. But YMMV.

I seem to remember something about Japanese pilots in WWII preferring amber lights in the cockpit because they preserved night vision better. Of course, red would be even better!

I don't think I would wear other sunglasses in shady/low-light situations. I also wouldn't wear yellow-tinted glasses in sunny situations.

I know that years ago, "Blue Blocker" sunglasses were all the rage but they never impressed me for use in sunny conditions. I never tried them out in low-light conditions.

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/18/15 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By Aragon
Originally Posted By billstephenson

That's the whole point...

I get that. It'd be worth a try, but I'm a bit skeptical because any degree of tint will block some light. But vision is very personal so it may work better for some than others. It might work great for some and not at all for others. The only way to know is to try it for yourself.

Quote:
They don't change the "color" of anything in such conditions

Actually, they change the color of everything. When you remove blue light you shift the point in the spectrum towards yellow (or darkness in the absence of red and green)

Try it: http://www.colorpicker.com/7F7F7F

Posted by: Zuuk

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 11/23/15 02:17 PM

Once when purchasing prescription glasses, I had an extra set of clip on lenses, which I ended up getting yellow lenses for. I did a lot of archery and bowhunting, and I found that in low light conditions I was able to make better definition on targets. I also used to drive with them in the evenings and early morning.

When I was a kid I had a pair of sunglasses with green lenses in them, and those I loved. They did the same as the yellow, but when in the woods it made everything that wasn't green really stand out. It was an odd green coloured lens as well, not like the ones you regularly see on the sunglasses stand, more of a brighter green. I have yet to find another pair anywhere as I broke those many moons ago.
Posted by: WonderMonkey

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 12/04/15 11:03 AM

I love the yellow shades in low light but not adequate in brighter light (for me). If you are in woody areas most times then the yellow shades are probably a great choice. I personally am in and out of treed areas so I wear the darker shades..
Posted by: AMZSow

Re: Ever wear yellow-shaded glasses on the trail? - 12/10/15 06:07 AM

only good for awhile man. you dont want to use yellow-shaded glasses forever. it gets weird after awhile