Ozark Backpacking Season Starts

Posted by: billstephenson

Ozark Backpacking Season Starts - 10/18/15 06:28 PM

It's time to get out in the forests here, and I'm sure ready.

I did little bushwhack with my grandson last week and didn't get into any ticks or chiggers. It was pretty nice. Still lots of poison ivy out there though, and a lot of it is new growth sprouting up. I've gotten a little on me these past couple weeks. Probably from petting my dogs or burros. It'll die down as soon as we get a few nights of frost though, and that should be soon.

My daughter went to Horseshoe Canyon in AR this weekend to do some rock climbing but I'm stuck until I get my wife's car fixed. Hopefully that will only be another day or two. After that I'm heading out for a few nights.

Our creeks and springs should be running good this Autumn. We've had a lot of rain this year, and quite a few creeks that often run dry in the summer have been wet all year so far. That should make for some pretty sweet backpacking.

Posted by: bluefish

Re: Ozark Backpacking Season Starts - 10/18/15 07:17 PM

Have a great time! We had 2" of snow already in Vt. , so I'm getting out the snowshoes. A friend just drove through the Ozarks and loved the area. If you can share some pics of your trips it would be vastly appreciated.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Ozark Backpacking Season Starts - 10/21/15 09:32 PM

It's just too soon for snow bluefish!!

Hopefully I'll get out there in the next few days. I may have beg my wife to drop me off at a trailhead because her car is being a pain to fix and I'm tired of working on it. It's just perfect here right now, so I'm getting a little stir crazy waiting for the chance to head out.

Glad to hear you have a buddy that got to see the area. It is pretty here. I fell in love with it the 1st I drove through too. All in all this has been a pretty nice year here too. The trees are just turning now and leaves just starting to fall, and the weather has been spectacular.

I hope it holds out for me!
Posted by: bobito9

Re: Ozark Backpacking Season Starts - 10/21/15 11:12 PM

October in the Ozarks is always lovely! Wish I were enjoying it.