Neighbors and fences

Posted by: balzaccom

Neighbors and fences - 06/23/15 01:31 PM

On our last backpacking trip, after spending a couple of days off trail and away from people, we arrived at a nice lake that is on a regular trail, seven miles in from the trailhead. Yep, we were going to have company here.

So we set up camp on a sandy ridge to the northwest of the lake, nestling our small grey tent in among a cluster of small trees. It was nicely obscured from view. That was a mistake. Nobody saw us there, and as other hiking groups arrived, they set up camp right next door. By nightfall we had four other groups camping near us, including two who were within 75 feet. The rest of the lake was empty, except for one group of young men on the far side.

So here's the question. When you arrive at a lake, which campsite do you take? If there is nobody there, do you take the best one? We do. But if someone is already set up at the best campsite do you take the second best site, even if it is quite close to the first one? Or do you follow the bus seating rule, which says that you take the site farthest from the person who is already set up?

And if you are third? Do you fill in the space, or do you try to find something farther away?
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Neighbors and fences - 06/23/15 02:03 PM

I would always get as far away as possible while also considering the quality and privacy of the site.

I would never set up camp close to someone if I didn't know them or was not invited into, and even then I might respectfully decline and ask to meet up in the morning. It would depend on some variables, like if I thought they'd really rather be alone, or if I would.

I guess it may have been wise in hindsight to pitch the tent in plain view so others would know you were there, but my experience tells me that sometimes invites others over to set up near you.

I know this situation would've bummed me out a bit, so I feel for you. I also know people who'd love that though, and they'd try to get a party going, and generally do. I love those kinds of people but I don't take them backpacking with me laugh
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Neighbors and fences - 06/23/15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By billstephenson

I also know people who'd love that though, and they'd try to get a party going, and generally do. I love those kinds of people but I don't take them backpacking with me laugh

LOL!
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Neighbors and fences - 06/23/15 07:04 PM

It happens so seldom, I don't think about it. I pick the best spot and hope for the best.

If someone arrives after and they are quiet, it doesn't bother me. If they are noisy, then I move to a spot far away if one is available.

If I don't move, I drop in to say hello while they are eating. Usually, it's good for some extra food.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Neighbors and fences - 06/23/15 08:02 PM

I generally get well off the trail and find a place along the inlet or outlet instead of at the lake. I much prefer to be off by myself if at all possible. And most of the time, areas near a lake are horribly overused as well as lacking privacy.

I can always take a short walk to visit the lake itself!
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Neighbors and fences - 06/24/15 04:21 PM

I am either with scouts or my own kids. I try and get as far as possible away from everyone. That way, I don't get people complaining to me about the noisy kids.