AT hiker needs programming help.

Posted by: Gershon

AT hiker needs programming help. - 04/07/15 08:15 PM

This guy started a bicycle trip around the world. I know he is legit as I met him in Pueblo, CO. He stopped after riding from Alaska to the southern end of Argentina. He is stopping because of the situation in Russia and Ukraine.

He wants to start the AT at the end of April. He is trying to get programming help to make some kind of website and app to keep in touch.

I suspect he would be able to pay a fair price.

You can check out his site here.

selfpoweredtravel

Note to moderators: I hope this doesn't violate any commercial policies. If so, please let me know and we can discuss it. My only link with this guy is meeting him on his bicycle tour. I've been following him since I met him last summer.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: AT hiker needs programming help. - 04/07/15 09:10 PM

Had he thought of trying Postholer or Trail Journals?

Re: AT hiker needs programming help. - 04/08/15 03:19 PM

OM,

I passed those suggestions.

Thanks.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: AT hiker needs programming help. - 04/08/15 11:46 PM

I wrote a response to his post that provides some info and example code for making an offline app that will sync data with a server side app or database.

Rather it helps him or not depends on what web stuff he's familiar with, but I also offered to help if he needs it. Rather or not I can is the same though.

I do hope he gets it done though, I like the idea and think it could be a fun site for all those hiking and following hikers, or just interested in the AT.

Re: AT hiker needs programming help. - 04/09/15 12:03 PM

Bill,

Thanks for offering to help.

Gershon
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: AT hiker needs programming help. - 04/09/15 12:32 PM

I haven't heard back from him yet. He might be messing with the Contacts app himself though. It's pretty easy to make changes to. I hope it helps him out.

If you know him you might tell him he's welcome to contact me.

Re: AT hiker needs programming help. - 04/09/15 08:33 PM

Done, Bill.