Yosemite Bighorn sheep reintroduction

Posted by: Rick_D

Yosemite Bighorn sheep reintroduction - 02/26/15 01:54 PM

Per the unimpeachable source that is the Yosemite Visitors Bureau, March will see fourteen bighorn sheep released in the Cathedral Range.

Quote:
We are very excited to inform you that March 2015 will see 14 big horned sheep re-introduced to the Cathedral Range in Yosemite National Park. Ten ewes and four rams selected for their diversity will be making the range their home once again after many years of being absent.

They're on my want-to-see critter bucket list, so here's hoping they have much success back in this sliver of their former range.

A background article can be found here.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Yosemite Bighorn sheep reintroduction - 02/26/15 03:08 PM

Let's hope they 'take'. Yosemite used to be used extensively as sheep pasturage, so the habitat ought to be there. Let's hope the diseases of domesticated sheep have left the premises.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Yosemite Bighorn sheep reintroduction - 02/26/15 04:05 PM

Yep, apparently it's a big concern and they introduce them in "islands" physically separated from any grazing sheep. If only John Muir had gotten up there sooner....
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Yosemite Bighorn sheep reintroduction - 02/26/15 08:30 PM

I've seen them in the Rockies, but it would be SO cool to have them once again living in Yosemite!
Posted by: SurvivalDad

Re: Yosemite Bighorn sheep reintroduction - 04/04/15 01:21 PM

That is so cool. I have heard they are doing more than just the sheep. Though i am no sure what.
Posted by: MannyDantyla

Re: Yosemite Bighorn sheep reintroduction - 06/10/15 02:54 PM

Thats awesome! I'm hiking right through there in about a week, hope I see them!