Rain makes its way back to California

Posted by: Rick_D

Rain makes its way back to California - 02/08/15 04:15 PM

After a hiatus of more than a month (smack in the middle of the "wet" season) rain has returned in a big way. Looking at the radar I see it tracking across the northern Sierra, central Sierra and especially the south Cascades. (Guessing the southern Sierra isn't getting much, if anything.) It's supposed to keep going through tomorrow morning, then back to sunny and dry.

Better than nothing.

Cheers,
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Rain makes its way back to California - 02/08/15 06:30 PM

There was a devastating fire just north of Bishop right alongside Sherwin Grade. I think its 65% contained right now. 40 homes lost in Swall Meadows and Paradise. I was hoping it would leave the Rock Creek Canyon alone. It made it right up to the border. One of my favorite places on earth. Hard to believe fires in Feb. in the Sierra.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Rain makes its way back to California - 02/12/15 11:55 PM

The creek going thru my property came up quite a bit then back down over night last weekend. Good thing there was no snow to melt while it rained hard, my property would have flooded in the lower area half. A snow cat mechanic I know who works at Mt Rose Ski area between Lake Tahoe and Reno, said they received 40 inches of snow. I'll take that.
Duane
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Rain makes its way back to California - 02/18/15 10:08 PM

And now it is back to dry and waiting again....
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Rain makes its way back to California - 02/18/15 10:29 PM

I just looked at the CDEC website. In spite of the new snow, the Sierra is still only about 20-25% normal snowpack. Sad, sad, sad!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Rain makes its way back to California - 02/19/15 12:38 AM

Up here in the PNW, we've had close to normal precipitation, but it has all been rain, up to 8,000 feet. There is basically no snow at all below 5,000 feet. So we're talking a very, very low snowpack, and the ski areas are going broke.

If this keeps up, the forests will be tinder dry before July gets here--scary thought!

Re: Rain makes its way back to California - 02/19/15 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I just looked at the CDEC website. In spite of the new snow, the Sierra is still only about 20-25% normal snowpack. Sad, sad, sad!

[Checks forecast] looks like we'll make it out of February with nary a flake.

In isolation one dry winter isn't a big deal but this is four in a row. We all see changes in the high country we've been lucky enough to visit the last few decades, some subtle like small perennial streams that have become ephemeral and others more blatant, like large dying forest stands or permanent snowfields on our topos that are gone or marshes that have reverted to meadow.

Not saying it's never going to snow again but I do wonder what "new normal" we'll be settling into as time goes on.

Re: Rain makes its way back to California - 03/04/15 01:33 PM

Resurrecting the thread to note results from yesterday's Sierra snow survey:
Quote:
Snow levels in the Sierra Nevada are at or below what they were during the driest years in California’s recorded history, surveyors said Tuesday, dashing hopes that last weekend’s storm would begin to pull the state out of its increasingly frightful drought.

The water content of the snow statewide stands at 19 percent of the average for this time of year, according to the third snow survey of the season by the California Department of Water Resources.

That means California is neck and neck with 1977 and 1991 for the most parched winter since 1950, when the state began publishing measurements of the snowpack in the Sierra. California could set a new drought benchmark this year.

“We’re looking at historical lows,” said David Rizzardo, the chief of snow surveys and water supply forecasting for the Department of Water Resources. “You go into the winter hoping that (the drought) doesn’t get worse, but I think it’s undeniable at this point that it’s going to be worse. You just can’t recover at some point from how dry it has been.”

Comparison with 1977, 1991

The worst snow year by most measures was 1991, which had 18 percent of the historic average for snowpack on March 1. That, however, was the year of the famous Miracle March, when a series of subsequent storms covered the mountains with snow and brought California back from the brink.

In 1977, which is considered the driest year on record, the snow level was 25 percent of normal at this time. Last year, California was at 31 percent of normal on March 1.

S.F. Chron

Adjust expectations, and hiking plans, accordingly.

signed--Mr. Happy News