The pain of untrimmed toe nails

Posted by: hikerduane

The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/16/13 01:29 PM

I got home last Friday, packing up for yet another outdoor adventure, this one a bp trip. I noticed on my one foot that one of my toes was causing so much pain, I had to hobble around, gathering stuff for my pack. I finally took my sock off and looked at my toes. They could use a trim, would that help? Or did it have more to do with my posture and foot placement at work while in my chair? I trimmed the nails on my one foot, helped a tiny bit. By morning feeling great, so the trimming relieved the pressure point. Amazed at how the nail that was formed to fit around my toes, put pressure onto an adjoining toe. Now I know what to do if my feet start hurting again.
Duane
Posted by: Hikin Jim

Re: The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/22/13 11:41 AM

A nice, practical solution.

I wind up with a lot of bruised toenails, particularly on the toe next to my big toe. I've taken to filing the nail so that it's smoother on top so it doesn't snag on anything. Seems to help.

HJ
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/22/13 02:48 PM

The single most painful hike I ever took was because of an overly long toenail. The cure was simple--and about two hours too late.

sigh.

Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/22/13 03:08 PM

I get ingrown toenails that causes an ungodly amount of pain. So I keep all toenails trimmed up good, toe pain can be quite unbearable.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/22/13 03:52 PM

I've had ingrown nails as a kid, not fun. I wasn't watching my nails, still have to trim the other foot.
Duane
Posted by: jacob9795

Re: The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/24/13 12:46 PM

I had a chronic problem with ingrown toe nails on both of my big toes! I had the problem since I was a kid. About two years ago I had a "wedge resection" performed on both of my big toes.
The podiatrists pokes you with a really narrow guage needle, to inject an anesthetic, and then reduces the width of the nail with a pair of scissors and then chemically burns the nailbed so that it won't grow back. I had to keep my toes wrapped for a while and couldn't hike or run for about 2-3 months, I can't exactly remember how long it was. I feel no pain when I walk and because of that I am a much happier person smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/24/13 01:06 PM

Nail trim once a week, without fail! Preferably right after bathing while the nails are a bit softer.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/24/13 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By jacob9795
I had a chronic problem with ingrown toe nails on both of my big toes! I had the problem since I was a kid. About two years ago I had a "wedge resection" performed on both of my big toes.
The podiatrists pokes you with a really narrow guage needle, to inject an anesthetic, and then reduces the width of the nail with a pair of scissors and then chemically burns the nailbed so that it won't grow back. I had to keep my toes wrapped for a while and couldn't hike or run for about 2-3 months, I can't exactly remember how long it was. I feel no pain when I walk and because of that I am a much happier person smile
I had the same procedure about 9 years ago and it was good for about 4 years then the nails started growing back!
Posted by: jacob9795

Re: The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/25/13 11:13 AM

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: The pain of untrimmed toe nails - 04/25/13 02:27 PM

Don't cross your toes...that will make it worse.