Your tiny knife is no longer in danger

Posted by: Rick_D

Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/05/13 03:07 PM

Starting April 25, TSA will stop confiscating pocket knives with blades shorter than 6cm. They'll also allow ski poles on board which, by extension, implies trekking poles carried by you hippie hiker-types. Relaxing the golf club thing I could do without.

New TSA rules

Whoda thunk?
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/05/13 05:07 PM

Great - at least 3 new ways for Alec Baldwin to get in trouble on airplanes. smile
Posted by: OttoStover

Re: Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/05/13 08:50 PM

Oh that's great!! thanks I feel simply naked without my swiss army pocket knife. Up till now I have had to make sure it was packed in the suitcase that is checked in, now I may have it on me as usual. Well that is when the same rules are applied in Europe, but usually they are identical.
Posted by: BradMT

Re: Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/11/13 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Great - at least 3 new ways for Alec Baldwin to get in trouble on airplanes. smile

Dat's funny!
Posted by: Gordie

Re: Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/11/13 09:54 AM

Wow, I can keep my little Swiss Army on my key chain again!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/11/13 10:50 AM

Don't count your chickens/knives yet; at least one major airline and the flight attendants' and pilots' unions are objecting.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/11/13 11:44 AM

The blades on the box cutters used by the 9-11 terrorists were less than 6 cm long; a short, sharp blade can do a lot of damage. I can understand their concern.

Re: Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/11/13 01:34 PM

A few more details have trickled out, and regardless of meeting the blade length criterion, fixed-blade knives, lock-blade folding knives, and box cutters remain forbidden.

Cheers,
Posted by: Nimravus

Re: Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/15/13 09:24 PM

I seen this earlier today, and I actually agree with something that the TSA is doing.
Posted by: ndsol

Re: Your tiny knife is no longer in danger - 03/21/13 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By Pika
The blades on the box cutters used by the 9-11 terrorists were less than 6 cm long; a short, sharp blade can do a lot of damage. I can understand their concern.

The reason that box cutters worked on 9/11 was because of a different view at that time - cooperate with the hijackers. A paradigm shift occurred starting with UA93. Now with hardened cockpit doors and refusal to accede to hijackers, box cutters would not be successful.

For years, scissors with blades up to four inches have been permitted on planes. Pull them apart and you have two sharp knives, yet blood has not been flowing down the aisles.
Posted by: OregonMouse

No knives! - 04/22/13 10:15 PM

TSA has backed off on the rules change--so you still have to check the knives and trekking poles:
TSA to delay allowing small knives on planes
Posted by: Dryer

Re: No knives! - 04/23/13 09:50 AM

Read that this morning, OM. I remember the days of wearing a Leatherman on my belt in an airplane, no problem. There are so many improvise-able weapons possible on an airplane, and a 2" knife blade concerns them? While you can have 3" scissors!
Not understanding the logic here.

Re: Your tiny knife must remain at home - 06/05/13 05:03 PM

Looks like TSA got enough pushback to put a fork in their revised policy on toting small things that cut, onto airplanes. Victorinox stock will doubtless shoot up tomorrow on the news.

TSA article