Bears and Alcohol Fuel

Posted by: Pika

Bears and Alcohol Fuel - 02/18/13 10:05 AM

I'm planning on using an alcohol stove on the first part of my upcoming JMT through hike and was curious as to whether bears have any interest in denatured ethanol. Has anyone here heard of bears getting into fuel supplies while they are rummaging around looking for food? Should I plan on keeping the alky in my bear can or can I just leave it out with my stove and pot. Any info would be much appreciated. The idea of a drunken bear loose in my camp area is "sobering" to say the least. grin

PS. What about other alcoholic "fuels" such as bourbon, single malt or rum? cry
Posted by: lori

Re: Bears and Alcohol Fuel - 02/18/13 10:37 AM

Denatured alky has toxic chemicals in, which bears seem able to detect as such. I leave my fuel out and haven't had an issue even when bears have hit the canisters.

I put the booze in the bear canister tho. I hear bears really like booze.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Bears and Alcohol Fuel - 02/18/13 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By Pika
I'm planning on using an alcohol stove on the first part of my upcoming JMT through hike and was curious as to whether bears have any interest in denatured ethanol. Has anyone here heard of bears getting into fuel supplies while they are rummaging around looking for food? Should I plan on keeping the alky in my bear can or can I just leave it out with my stove and pot. Any info would be much appreciated. The idea of a drunken bear loose in my camp area is "sobering" to say the least. grin

PS. What about other alcoholic "fuels" such as bourbon, single malt or rum? cry

My guess is there are only three possible outcomes: 1) the bear get rip-roaring drunk and wakes up with terrible hangover and promise him/herself to never do it again. 2) Becomes a violent drunk. 3) Becomes a mellow out drunk telling bear stories. Let us know what happens. grin
Posted by: aimless

Re: Bears and Alcohol Fuel - 02/18/13 02:55 PM

I have never witnessed it, but i have heard more than once that bears will eat fermented fruit, such as fallen apples in old orchards (of which there are many in S. Oregon) and they'll get tipsy. They appear to enjoy it, then sleep it off.

Just to be safe, I'd hide the rum or whiskey.
Posted by: Big-D

Re: Bears and Alcohol Fuel - 02/18/13 07:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Fqin1VigU
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Bears and Alcohol Fuel - 02/19/13 12:17 PM

Just goes to show, there is a youtube video for anything these days.
Posted by: TwoTrees

Re: Bears and Alcohol Fuel - 05/02/13 04:50 PM

As Lori said...never had em go after denatured or heet...but at least one bear in the marble mts (No.CA) will carefully pierce any beer can and drain its contents down to the last few drops! A group of horse packers left ALL the gear rather than wrestle the drunken bruin! So if you use a pepsi-stove...remove the paint!? smile