Howdy everyone!

Posted by: Archbishop

Howdy everyone! - 01/03/13 07:14 PM

Just wanted to make a quick thread to say,"howdy." to everyone. Been backpacking since I was a teen. (In my thirties now.) I've a member of another online forum, but it tends to be geographically centered to another part of the country. Recently I stumbled across this site and I see that there others here in the Midwest. I figured I'd give this a try and see what comes of it.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Howdy everyone! - 01/03/13 08:24 PM

welcome...and I hope you will "bless" us with many posts about your adventures!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Howdy everyone! - 01/03/13 09:37 PM

Welcome! What part of Indiana? Although I'm from Ohio, I live near the Indiana line, not too far from Richmond.

I love Shades Park outside Crawfordsville - try to get there at least once a year. Surprisingly beautiful, a plush backpack area; perfect place for an annual shakedown or easy weekend trip.

Ever done any of the Knobstone Trail?

Re: Howdy everyone! - 01/05/13 12:23 PM

I'm actually downtown Indy. I escape the city as often as I can. Love Shades State Park. Knobstone? Done the whole thing. Would really think twice before doing it again. I did it solo a few years ago. I felt like took more from me than it gave. Might be different if I'd been with someone though.

Re: Howdy everyone! - 01/05/13 12:27 PM

Shout to all the hikers in Cali! Haven't had a chance to get out there yet, but some day..... Few years ago I did get out West to Zion. Loved it! South West is on my list of places to get back to.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Howdy everyone! - 01/05/13 02:48 PM

Let me know the next time you want to try the Knobstone - I've always been a little put off by it, not sure why.

Also, holler if you ever need someone to meet you at Shades.

If you'd like to sample the Twin Valley Trail near Dayton, Ohio - the local outfitter is sponsoring a winter campout next weekend ($15) - it's a 4 or 5 mile hike to the campsite, and we usually hike another 5 or 6 miles back to the car the next morning. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll put you in touch with them.

Re: Howdy everyone! - 01/05/13 08:10 PM

I'm gonna have to really think about the Knobstone before I'd do it again. I'll tell you the trail that I really would like do though is the Adventure trail. It's in Southern Indiana along the Ohio. Haven't done a ton of research yet, but I believe it's around 25 miles and is a loop. Would love to do it in 2-3 days. Perhaps late spring???
As for the Twin Valley, thanks for the invite, but I'll have to pass. I just got back from a few nights out, and I gotta keep the wife happy. wink Shades State Park? Drop me a line any time you're in the mood if my schedule is open it wouldn't take much to talk me into that. It's only about an hour to hour and half from my house. Only thing I'm not a big fan of, is staying in a multi site camp grounds. I prefer to be off in woods. (Doesn't mean though I wouldn't do it...)
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Howdy everyone! - 01/06/13 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By Archbishop
Shout to all the hikers in Cali! Haven't had a chance to get out there yet, but some day..... Few years ago I did get out West to Zion. Loved it! South West is on my list of places to get back to.
If you get out this way shoot me a pm, tons of great hiking!