Oversharing

Posted by: balzaccom

Oversharing - 08/22/12 11:47 AM

Last year we learned about a very sophisticated group of thieves who were subscribing to all the latest environmental newsletters to see who had installed new solar energy systems. It was basic market research, because within weeks the thieves would then visit the new installation and cart the whole thing away. Not nice, and happily that group was arrested and put out of business.

But that's the reason that we never announce when and where we are taking our next backpacking trip. We're happy to tell you all about it once we have returned, but the Internet is just a bit too public a place for us to announce that our house is going to be uninhabited for certain dates. We've had people ask us the question, and we always demur.

And yeah, we have neighbors who check on things. but even so. These days you can't be too careful.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Oversharing - 08/22/12 11:57 AM

Completely agree. smile
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Oversharing - 08/22/12 01:05 PM

Whadda they gonnaa take of mine? My rotary dial phones? They better leave my stove collection alone!
Duane
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Oversharing - 08/22/12 01:10 PM

You have a stove collection? When's your next trip? grin
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Oversharing - 08/22/12 01:14 PM

This weekend, I'm going to clean all my guns and reload some bullets.

When I'm done, I'm going to take my pit bulls for a walk.

Hope that isn't sharing too much. smile
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: Oversharing - 08/22/12 01:25 PM

We do the same thing, though I will sometimes post about a trip where I'm leaving the hubby at home, or ask questions in general (hiking in spring in xyz - suggestions of trails), or ask years in advance (some day I will hike the Arizona trail laugh .) I had to get on my Mom's case last year about posting on Facebook that I was coming to visit (everything including my PLANE landing / taking off!)
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Oversharing - 08/22/12 01:33 PM

Don't ever save your home address in your GPS and leave it in your car, or if the GPS is installed into your console...

Occasionally there are clever thieves and there are dumb ones. My former roommate works as a social media consultant where he help his clients build a social media page and even manage them. He told me yesterday some lady came into his client's store and stole a pair of shoes right in front of the store owner. Turns out she "like" the store's facebook page and the owner identified her on the list. Talk about an epic fail. lol.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Oversharing - 08/22/12 03:41 PM

I can hear your future son-in-law now: "Ah, yes, I remember our wedding well. My vows began, 'Please don't pull the trigger...'" smile
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Oversharing - 08/22/12 03:42 PM

Truly epic fails include the two guys who tried to rob a mortgage bank.

It's probably important to note that they were not the owners.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Oversharing - 08/22/12 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
I can hear your future son-in-law now: "Ah, yes, I remember our wedding well. My vows began, 'Please don't pull the trigger...'" smile

Once my best friend ran away with my wife. I shot him for bringing her back.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Oversharing - 08/23/12 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Truly epic fails include the two guys who tried to rob a mortgage bank.

It's probably important to note that they were not the owners.

lol awesome