Hey! Was that winter?

Posted by: skcreidc

Hey! Was that winter? - 03/20/12 12:58 PM

Winter actually stopped on by for a short visit.

Arizona, at 5000ft just south of the Mogollon Rim.

Posted by: immortal.ben

Re: Hey! Was that winter? - 03/20/12 04:42 PM

I saw some of that up at the Grand Canyon this past December. The storm I drove through coming home was an OK winter storm for around here.

Last winter I spent a good bit of time just south of the Mogollon Rim and hardly saw a speck of snow.

We never get winter down here in the valley. frown

skcreidc, I was in your fair city a few weeks ago and I found it to be very visually appealing.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Hey! Was that winter? - 03/20/12 10:15 PM

Immortal, so you are in the Phoenix area? My mom sent me that pic of Payson on Sunday. I was at a wedding somewhere else......

I really like Arizona, but I am much fonder of AZ during fall, winter, and spring. Glad you had fun in SD. Balboa Park is nice. Generally, some of it is appealing...some is just appalling. smile
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Hey! Was that winter? - 03/21/12 10:59 AM

We havn't had to have our private dirt road plowed but once this whole winter, so we have hardly spent any money.
Duane
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Hey! Was that winter? - 03/21/12 03:27 PM

And a nationwide mild winter, especially back East, has -- while crude oil climbs -- natural gas prices spiralling downward:

10 year low
Posted by: immortal.ben

Re: Hey! Was that winter? - 03/21/12 06:26 PM

Yep, I am in north Phoenix. Payson is a really nice area, I go up there to camp once in a while. The people are very friendly and it seems to be a quiet place to live. I contemplated buying an outdoor goods store there last year.

Arizona is awesome if you can manage to forget 5 months of the year, every year, here in the valley.

Posted by: HikerChick

Re: Hey! Was that winter? - 03/31/12 08:06 PM

Not a winter at all by comparison to last year. Put my snowshoes on the front porch in Nov. Looked at them everyday wondering when I'd get to go play in the snow. Finally had enough snow the beginning of this month to strap on the snowshoes for the first time this winter. Hope we get enough out of the current storm to try out the x-c skis.
Now that doesn't mean we haven't had to deal with much snow this year. We still have to travel 12.5 miles on an unmaintained Forest Service road to get to where it's plowed. A challenge when the last big storm dumped 4 feet!
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Hey! Was that winter? - 03/31/12 10:04 PM

The heaviest coat I put on between October and now was an insulated vest. No winter here, at all.
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: Hey! Was that winter? - 04/02/12 01:37 PM

We had enough cold weather for all of you. -40F in November, then a warmish / high normal December, than -40F almost all January, then a warmer and colder than normal Feb, then a cooler/normal March and now who knows April...