Bury Tea bag with Feces

Posted by: Cole Pendell

Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/14/12 10:19 PM

I am a full believer in LNT and pack it in pack it out...
But.
Would it be a bad idea to bury a tea bag (just the bag kind, no staple and string) in my cat hole? With the morning ritual?
They just happen to be on the same schedule! LOL

I have no problem carrying them out. But this thought just came through my head.
~Cole
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/14/12 11:36 PM

I tear the tea bags and shake out the tea (it is organic and good for the soil, like coffee grounds) and then pack out the bag. If burried you add another smell to the cathole. Not sure if that would attract animals. Animals who have a good sense of smell can smell stuff under 6-inchs of soil.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/15/12 09:34 AM

Leave no trace.

Pack it out. How much does a tea bag weigh, anyway?

We just toss them in our trash bag with the wrappers and packaging of our other meals, and get on with life.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/15/12 09:49 AM

Man, I thought this was going to be a political thread.

I think WD has the best advice. For me, if I had a fire, I would burn it. Otherwise, do what WD does.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/15/12 09:59 AM

Leave no trace; pack it out. My dog has just blown me away by finding things like tennis balls buried under at least 3 inches of soil. And it is obvious by her body language it is not by accident. She knows it's there before she starts digging. I can only imagine what animals that depend upon their sense of smell to survive can find.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/15/12 01:52 PM

If you think there is a measurable chance that another person might stumble onto the place where your cathole is located during the current hiking season, then I'd say go ahead and pack it all out.

In a remote area, lightly used, I would not mind if you tore open the bag, scattered in the tea leaves and packed out the bag, as suggested by wandering daisy. That tea bag material is not going to degrade well in or out of a cathole. It is pure garbage and not appropriate to leave behind at any time.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/15/12 02:56 PM

... and then there's this for LNT:

... but I'd go with an aluminum one rather than a stainless steel or ceramic one for UL. And if you're willing to pay, go with a platinum one:

platinum cone

... available from a lab supply in Mumbai, price available on request.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/15/12 05:02 PM

I'd rather squeeze as much water as possible out of the tea bag and take it home with my other food garbage.
Posted by: Cole Pendell

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/15/12 05:16 PM

Thanks For the replies guys. I know this was a kinda weird question but I figured I would ask and see what you guys thought. Looks like I will just toss the tea and keep the bag with me. Thanks!
Posted by: mike220

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/16/12 06:51 PM

I find it funny to worry about the smell of the tea bag in the cat hole, considering it was just pooped in.
Posted by: Wolfeye

Re: Bury Tea bag with Feces - 03/21/12 06:26 PM

I've always used tea bags that I then squeeze dry and pack out, but this season will start using tea leaves in an infuser.

Since I only buy organic tea, I'd have no qualms about burying the leaves. Non-organic? Not sure. I'd have to stop and think about it.

If I picked my own tea leaves (pine needles, wild strawberry...) during the trip, it would be a little overboard to pack them out. grin