man survives 2 months in frozen car

Posted by: Jimshaw

man survives 2 months in frozen car - 02/19/12 11:16 AM

News item

Doctors at the hospital (in Sweden) said humans would normally be able to survive for about four weeks without food. Besides eating snow, the man probably survived by going into a dormant-like state, physician Stefan Branth told Vasterbottens-Kuriren.

"A bit like a bear that hibernates. Humans can do that," he said. "He probably had a body temperature of around 31 degrees (Celsius) which the body adjusted to. Due to the low temperature, not much energy was used up."
Jim

Posted by: aimless

Re: man survives 2 months in frozen car - 02/19/12 03:16 PM

Amazing! But even hibernating bears have an impressive amount of fat to draw on, and to help insulate their core, so I am assuming this fellow was not a string bean.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: man survives 2 months in frozen car - 02/19/12 09:39 PM

What the hey?!? He eat his own arm or something?

Sheesh.
Posted by: OttoStover

Re: man survives 2 months in frozen car - 02/20/12 12:39 AM

There is more to the story than this. He had some economic problems also. And he was just 1,5 km away from the E4, one of the most trafficated roads in Sweden. On a clear night one can almost hear the lorries from that distance, at least see the hedlights in the sky.

My mother in law got the Altzheimer disease, and she got lost in her own neighbourhood where she had been living for decades. She was just on the other side of her own house, and she could not find it. I suspect this or some other psychiatric illness, but it was a good thing that he was found alive.
Otto