Lake wind advisery, NE Tx hike today

Posted by: Tye

Lake wind advisery, NE Tx hike today - 01/22/12 06:11 PM

Our whole crew took a short hike today in Tyler State Park. Me, wife, 10 moth old, 4 year old. We only go do about 4 miles every so often with the little one in a backpack kid carrier. Was great forecast today, 70s but lake wind advisery. Heck, I ain't fishin', what do I care? Right?

We are half way out having a ball, the area is wooded. A short quick burst of wind come through right where we were on the trail. Big crack sounds, and two tree tops came down within 50 feet of where we stood.

'Kinda creepy. I sure will think about tree tops next time setting up tent. I usually think of just about everything from animals, to washouts, etc. Just never thought about falling tree tops. The super drought we had over the last year has weakened many types of trees.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Lake wind advisery, NE Tx hike today - 01/22/12 09:29 PM

There is probably a reason they call those things "widowmakers"....
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Lake wind advisery, NE Tx hike today - 01/22/12 11:31 PM

Those are tall trees too! Were you on the mountain bike trails there?
Posted by: Tye

Re: Lake wind advisery, NE Tx hike today - 01/23/12 12:52 AM

Yup, the longer ones on the west side. Between the drought and fire, there are a lot of dead and fallen trees back there. It is honestly not a very pretty area.
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Lake wind advisery, NE Tx hike today - 01/23/12 08:38 AM

Yeah, I know the trail stewards there have their hands full. I've done nothing but cut up fallen trees for two years now due to drought and freak snows. Some of the biggest, healthy looking branches hit the ground and shatter because they are so dry. I take care of a park here.