Howdy

Posted by: PhunkyMunky

Howdy - 09/05/11 09:40 AM

35 year old dude from Washington State, spent time as an Infantryman in the Army, where I learned that I enjoy a good hike. Been working on, and planning, to get the fam into it, but trying to finger out all this strange gear! Didn't have HALF this stuff in the Army! If we had, my back and knees would be MUCH happier!! LOL

I see some spots in here about making your own gear, could be very useful. I made my own soda can HEET stoves, but after an incident, my wife no longer allows me to "expiriment" with flammable objects grin

Anyhow, thought I'd say hey!

Phunky
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Howdy - 09/05/11 11:40 AM

Welcome aboard and thank you for serving the country. You're about my nephews age, he served and "service" skipped myself and his dad during the Nam era.
Get out there, read what others are doing/using. Do and use what works for you.
Duane
Posted by: JPete

Re: Howdy - 09/05/11 05:15 PM

Hey, PhunkyMunkey, There are quite a number of cottage gear makers who sell alchy stoves ready made. Don't have specifics for you right now, but check the gear makers list on this site, or do a search for stoves. Don't give up. Let me join in saying thanks for your service. Mine was Navy/Marine Corps, Korean War era. Yeah, gear was a bit different, but some of it quite good and workable, even today (still use my canteen cup and "Canteen cup holder" with solid fuel (today, Esbit) and it's handy on day trips. Bit too heavy for long trips, though. Best, jcp