Backpacking in Lake Tahoe?

Posted by: Yosemite

Backpacking in Lake Tahoe? - 07/16/11 09:26 PM

Hello everybody,

This fall I will be in the area of Lake Tahoe which I'm considering going on a 2-3 day trip. Thing is, I don't know much about the area and I'm wondering if I should be concerned about bears. Do I absolutely need a bear canister if I'm going to be in this area?

My other question is if anyone that's been in the area knows of any relatively secluded trails I can hike on, I very much prefer trails with minimal traffic when I go backpacking and I'm concerned this might be an issue, Lake Tahoe is a popular destination, after all.

Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Backpacking in Lake Tahoe? - 07/16/11 11:11 PM

Pick a section of the TRT.

You don't need a canister for any section.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Backpacking in Lake Tahoe? - 07/17/11 11:00 PM

They ask you use a canister is all. It's all popular. Good luck. Like many other places, you will leave most people behind after 4 miles or so. Many day hikers go in that far, so after 4PM or so, they leave.

Duane
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Backpacking in Lake Tahoe? - 07/21/11 12:20 AM

All of Desolation Wilderness is fun to explore...but teh permit process is a bit challenging. Start now to get the trailhead you want...
Posted by: ppine

Re: Backpacking in Lake Tahoe? - 10/11/11 01:54 PM

Lake Tahoe is loved to death. Unless you go during the shoulder season, after summer, but before ski season, use caution. A better bet would be in little used wilderness areas or National Forests.