Ursack failure

Posted by: Ewker

Ursack failure - 06/27/11 10:30 AM

this past weekend some dam racoons left tiny teeth marks through my ursack. I wouldn't have even noticed if one of the cliff bars hadn't of been eaten on. When I took everything out I could see light through the bottom of the ursack. Any ideas on how to patch the tiny holes?
I have some thin flashing I can cut and put in the bottom if need be.
Posted by: OldScout

Re: Ursack failure - 06/27/11 11:54 AM

If it failed, maybe the company will send a new one??

Re: Ursack failure - 06/27/11 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By OldScout
If it failed, maybe the company will send a new one??

I didn't even think about that. Guess it never hurts to email and ask them about it.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Ursack failure - 06/27/11 02:00 PM

I'm not sure that I would call that a failure. The Ursack was designed to keep bears from getting at food and in most cases it serves this purpose well if used as instructed.

You need something other than the fairly loose weave of the Ursack to keep patient, quiet, sharp-toothed rodents, ringtails and raccoons out of your groceries. The various critters in the Grand Canyon are notorious for getting into food bags including Ursacks. The ravens appear to be especially talented. There is a metal mesh food container variously called the Ratsack or Outsack that is intended to stop the kind of critters you need to worry about.

Look here: www.armoredoutdoorgear.com/ratsack.htm
or here; http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/outsak.html?gclid=CO_rv77U1qkCFQM-bAod43fy6Q
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Ursack failure - 06/27/11 02:23 PM

They'll probably close up with some Seam Grip. I wouldn't worry about a few tiny holes, but note there have been a lot of cases where rodents, given enough time, have drilled their way into Ursacks. It's a known issue.

Cheers,

Re: Ursack failure - 06/27/11 04:47 PM

thanks for the replies. I will apply some seam grip and maybe put some flashing in the bottom where they bite through
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Ursack failure - 06/27/11 09:42 PM

Ursack makes an aluminum insert if you aren't aware of it. It may fit you older sack, I bought one to upgrade mine, but then that was only good for a year when they got delisted for use in SEKI and elsewhere here in CA. It is tougher using the insert to get a tiny hole when tying the hole closed. It also adds about 15 oz. I think, I'm away from my scale.