Load Lifters

Posted by: billstephenson

Load Lifters - 06/26/11 11:56 PM

Do "Load Lifters" really offer much?

They look to me like they'd mostly just pull the top of the pack closer to your back. But if they do add some adjustment that offers added comfort, it doesn't seem like it be very hard to retro fit a pack with them. Has anyone done that?
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Load Lifters - 06/27/11 02:33 PM

Part 1--yes, with certain internal frame packs they make a big difference. It's hard to describe but they sort of prestress the frame and make it more responsive. An example is the Mountainsmith Ghost, which is floppy and unbalanced until the load control straps are pulled in. The transformation is dramatic.

I find they're most effective on flexibile rod frames, on packs that fit correctly and with straps that have about a 45-degree upward angle from the shoulder straps to the attachment point. The value of adding them would depend on the pack design and fit. If the pack has a tendency to pull away from the shoulders and if there are potential anchor points, adding some could help.

(They can also be useful on certain frameless packs, but more to re-center the weight closer.)

Cheers,

Originally Posted By billstephenson

They look to me like they'd mostly just pull the top of the pack closer to your back. But if they do add some adjustment that offers added comfort, it doesn't seem like it be very hard to retro fit a pack with them. Has anyone done that?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Load Lifters - 06/27/11 07:14 PM

For me, load lifters get the pressure off my highly pressure-sensitive shoulders, so the weight is entirely on the hip belt.

As RickD says, that 45-degree upward angle is highly important for the load lifters to work properly.

Posted by: phat

Re: Load Lifters - 06/27/11 09:39 PM

Yes - mine on frameless packs when using a sleeping pad roll seem to go a long way toward firming things up, properly adjusted. I find they can make a big difference to my comfort level and to the "floppiness" of the load.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Load Lifters - 06/28/11 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By billstephenson

on a long day with a heavy load like hikeing with wife and kids i dont think i could live without them.
just one more way to adjust the pack to change soor spots
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Load Lifters - 06/30/11 08:10 PM

I appreciate the feedback. Last year I saw a newer version of my old Coleman Peak 1 pack that had load lifters on it. That's an external frame pack and I've been thinking that I might fit mine with some. I took a good look at it and I don't think they come close to lifting from a 45º angle, but I might be able to rig them in a way that does.

Or I might look into getting a new pack instead wink
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: Load Lifters - 07/01/11 01:52 PM

I retroed my Peak 1 with another pack's shoulder and waist straps. With my personal setup, I don't think the load lifters made any difference at all. Of course, your milage may vary.

I am likly buying a new pack as well - Go Lite Quest (either the men's or women's.) This won't be happening though until my new house is liveable wink
Posted by: Paul

Re: Load Lifters - 07/05/11 07:31 PM

When properly adjusted (and assuming the pack is the right torso length),and in conjunction with a load-carrying hipbelt and some sort of frame, "load lifters" or as they are also called, "lifter straps", allow you to take pressure off the top of your shoulders. You accomplish this by tightening the load lifters and also slightly loosening the shoulder straps. This combination of adjustments means that you now have tension between the top of the lifter strap and the bottom of the shoulder strap, rather than tension between the bottom of the shoulder strap and the point where the shoulder strap is attached to the pack. Thus, you have no pressure, or reduced pressure, on the top of your shoulders, and some increase of pressure on the front of your shoulders. You also hold the pack more snugly to your back - good for vigorous activities like scrambling or skiing. they don't work well without a frame,or if the frame is too short so that you can't get the lifter strap to run uphill from your shoulder to the pack.