Whittling Knife

Posted by: rodwha

Whittling Knife - 06/26/11 04:37 PM

My gf and I have been planning on doing some real camping. You know, way back in there. And it made me think that whittling would add a very interesting and artistic way of creating some kindling, as well as some artwork for the mantle top or a walking stick.
I know nothing about what makes a proper whittling blade, nor any techniques.
Can anyone give me some advice on knives and possibly a book that is recommended?
Light weight and compact are a plus.

Thanks,

Posted by: finallyME

Re: Whittling Knife - 06/28/11 02:42 PM

My preference is a small blade and big handle, and is easy to sharpen. A 1 inch blade is great for carving. Of course, have a little bigger blade comes in handy for other things as well. I wouldn't go over 4 inches. I would recommend a small bladed (around 2-4 inch) Mora.

Again, just my preference. I am sure others have different views.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Whittling Knife - 06/30/11 07:37 AM

You can whittle with just about anything, but the Mora is as good as it gets.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Whittling Knife - 06/30/11 01:08 PM

When I was a boy scout, I used the small blade on my SAK to earn my woodcarving merit badge. It worked great. My hands are a little bigger now, and so I like a larger handle. But a small blade is easier to move around.
Posted by: Wolfeye

Re: Whittling Knife - 07/14/11 12:04 AM

Mora knives are good for general use. Good quality, not expensive, not too heavy. After looking at one, I plan on picking one up as my camp knife.

I don't really whittle per se, but for a while I was a wood carver by trade. I was trained by my cousin in northwest coast native art, and our preferred tools are crooked knives and adzes. We made our own out of circular saw blades, but I've bought them pre-made from a place called Kestrel before. A quick web search shows me that www.caribooblades.com sells knives that are closer to the style I'm used to. Click on their "hookknives" link and they'll show you the way we hold 'em: blade down. They offer excellent control, and are easy to use for carving spoons & things on the trail.

I don't have any books to recommend; I'm afraid all my knowledge was either gained from my teacher or experience. I wouldn't have a clue how to whittle using a straight knife, but I'm sure there are good books out there somewhere.
Posted by: Flinty

Re: Whittling Knife - 08/25/11 04:06 AM

I've enjoyed these whittling books when I first started: Chris Lubkemann

I am using a small Buck pocket knife, a Two-Cherries 3358 carving knife and a Mora full curve carving knife. I really like the crooked knife for the spoon I am currently working on.