Footwear for wet swampy areas

Posted by: nategp

Footwear for wet swampy areas - 04/29/11 02:34 PM

I dont know if this is the right area but hoping somebody would have some input. Me and a couple buddies do fishing trips in the swampy areas of SW Louisiana along the Sabine river. We take off on foot and pretty much stay in the woods all day bass fishing. The terrain is forest with sloughs, muddy flats, steep muddy banks. I am looking for footwear with good traction and drying abilities since we wade through water and mud. This is during the spring and summer time so temperature is not an issue. I usually just use an old pair of sneakers but I want something more suited to the terrain.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Footwear for wet swampy areas - 04/29/11 02:48 PM

I think my inclination would be indeed something along the line of sneakers --- quick drying (non-goretex) trail runners or something along that line. I'm thinking of a pair of old jungle boots I have in a closet somewhere from my Army days, with little plug vents just above the soles. Only much, much better in terms of being able to vent and dry out.

If cold enough, I'd add neoprene socks --- sealskinz or seirus storm socks or the like, but in the summer for you, just thin liner socks.
If you feel the need for gaitors, then something there too that is light and won't hold a lot of water for a long time, but I'd be inclined I think to just go without.

As long as I can dry my feet and have dry socks to sleep in at night, I've not found it to be a problem having wet feet during the day, and in the conditions you describe I think it would be worse than pointless to strive to "keep your feet dry" with any sort of waterproof footwear.
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Footwear for wet swampy areas - 04/29/11 04:07 PM

Where is Barry when you need him? One word - sandals.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Footwear for wet swampy areas - 04/29/11 05:36 PM

The traditional answer to this question in a place like Maine is LL Bean hunting boots, with the gum rubber lowers and leather uppers. However, they might be too hot in LA.

If old sneakers are working for you, though, maybe you don't need another solution.
Posted by: verber

Re: Footwear for wet swampy areas - 04/30/11 01:59 PM

I use use my Inov-8 trailrunners which are light with a lot of mesh (there are plenty of other good trail runners worth looking at) or maybe my Vibram Five Fingers since that's whats in my closet. The other things worth considering are sandals or some of the more hiking oriented water shoes such as the the Saloman Techamphibian.

Ideally I would use footwear that was comfortable / well enough fit/designed some I could do away with socks.

--Mark
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Footwear for wet swampy areas - 05/06/11 06:34 PM

“Where is Barry when you need him?”
Sorry, not paying attention. sleep

Yep, Sandals are the best in mud and slime --- and especially hot , humid mud and slime.
I always backpack in sandals and cool-looking socks . The socks will always prevent blisters (if you have the right sandals cinched tight) and it protects from some of the plant life found in mud that could scrape your skin.

When I come to a stream, I do a 10 second swishing and my socks and sandals look clean as new.

I have several posts through the past years that point out all the benefits of sandals. I backpacked in some bogs in southern IL and MO. In fact, it seems most of my trips are in the mud. Recently I moved to Idaho and am enjoying all the mountains.

I would stay away from any sandals that cover the toes. Those sandals magnetically attract thick gooey mud and pebbles to your toes and STAYS there. I buy sandals that are ½” longer than my foot. That gives enough bumper cushion so you won’t stub your toes.

Have fun in the bogs,
-Barry

The mountains were made for Teva sandals. cool
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Footwear for wet swampy areas - 05/09/11 10:41 AM

I am happy to see you spending more time hiking and less time on line. awesome

I hope your move has enhanced your life.