hammock question

Posted by: tmckay2

hammock question - 08/15/10 07:10 PM

hey all, new to forums, and i got a quick question. ive been backpacking here in colorado with a 5 lb rei two person tent. i take my dog who is about 40-45 lbs. recently people have opened my eyes to hammocks, both due to their great sleeping and super light weight. ive been eyeing the hennessy hammocks and wondered if anyone knows whether its possible both size wise and just plain practicality wise, to put both myself, a sleeping bag and my dog in a hennessy hammock or any other hammock. i know most load from the bottom, and was hoping someone had enough experience with them to know if its a plausible idea. thanks!
Posted by: DTape

Re: hammock question - 08/15/10 07:32 PM

Most Hennesy's load from the bottom. Most others are top entry. Of all my hammocking buddies, no one has there dog in the hammock with them (either hennesy or other). I highly doubt this sharing idea will work unless it is a tiny dog that sleeps on your chest. Another thing to consider is that even with just a tarp and a ground setup, many dogs are on alert all night long due to being exposed, visibly, to the outside. Many will not sleep, or not sleep well. Most dogs want an enclosed area when they sleep. My suggestion; you are better off with a lighter tent.
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: hammock question - 08/15/10 07:51 PM

I have to agree with DTape. I feel that sleeping with a dog in a hammock would be uncomfortable. What about a small tarp for your dog that you can set up right next to you? While you sleep in the hammock?
Posted by: phat

Re: hammock question - 08/17/10 09:43 AM

Definately no dog in the hammock. however, I have an 8x10 tarp over my hammock and the times I'm out with my dog he's very happy to sleep under it with me, he's typically on the ground under my hammock
Posted by: bubbawadew

Re: hammock question - 09/08/10 03:37 PM

I have the Hennessy Hammock Ultralite A-sym and i love it. But no room for a dog. But if you buy a hennessy hammock also buy the over sized tarp.