Buying a used sleeping bag - health considerations

Posted by: Steadman

Buying a used sleeping bag - health considerations - 08/11/10 09:41 PM

Folks

Let me try this one out with a wider audience...

Will manufacture's directions for cleaning down sleeping bags take care of bed bugs/other disease issues?

Know others who have gotten fungal infections on cruise if they didn't trash their underwear at the 3 month point, because the ship's laundry didn't get hot enough to kill that sort of thing off . Also, bed bugs are an increasing issue.

Steadman
Posted by: Franco

Re: Buying a used sleeping bag - health considerations - 08/11/10 11:04 PM

Pure soap and hot water will kill bed bugs.
Sleeping bags should be washed with warm not hot water.
I doubt very much that any bug will survive that but I would (just in case) leave the bag in the water for longer than recommended.
I have washed several bags by hand (in my tub) and also dry out in the sun. (takes a couple of days or more...)
Franco
Posted by: lonewolf

Re: Buying a used sleeping bag - health considerations - 08/12/10 02:06 AM

Dry cleaning should remove any living organism on the bag. Just be sure to fully airiate the bag for a week before using it. The problem with washing is that the temps needed to kill the bad stuff is also bad for the bag. Bleach is also bad news for most bags. If you do not dry clean you may have to wash and fully the bag several times to be safe. Another consideration is that as you sleep in and warm the bag it may start to smell like its previous owner if you do not totally clean the bag.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Buying a used sleeping bag - health considerations - 08/12/10 02:53 AM

I have taken my down bag to my local outdoor store (A 16 in West LA) and they sent it out for professional cleaning. I don't think they dry cleaned it because dry cleaning fluids will damage down. Don't take my word for it, though, ask your manufacturer what they recommend.

Here is what Western Mountaineering has to say on the subject.
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=product-tips-and-care

Similar instructions from Feathered Friends.
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Headmenu/DownCare.html

If you are not familiar with WM or FF, they make very high end bags. so I would trust whatever they say.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Buying a used sleeping bag - health considerations - 08/13/10 02:53 PM

There's always
this solution.
Posted by: fritz1255

Re: Buying a used sleeping bag - health considerations - 08/17/10 01:30 PM

Not sure I understand why anyone would buy a used sleeping bag or tent. Kind of like buying a used mattress - too many body soil/deterioration concerns. If money is an issue, buy a (new) import - ones that are a reasonable compromise of price and weight are available through Campmor. On the other hand, if you find a $500 nearly new sleeping bag or tent for a deep discount, maybe that makes sense, although I would guess that most folks who buy high end stuff like that use it a lot, so most items will be well used. Wouldn't want to buy it sight unseen.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Buying a used sleeping bag - health considerations - 08/17/10 02:47 PM

When I was in the army, I was never issued a new sleeping bag. The first bag I was issued was surplus from the Korean conflict and had had hard use. I don't know whether the Quartermaster fumigated used sleeping gear or not. In those days, we didn't give such things much thought. I never came down with skin disease or cooties though.
Posted by: fritz1255

Re: Buying a used sleeping bag - health considerations - 08/17/10 03:20 PM

The mattresses on many of the beds at my Dad's house date back to the 1800's. Never gotten sick from them (that I know of), but I still would not buy a used mattress. I used to use an army surplus sleeping bag, never got sick from that one either, but would not buy a used bag.