Hello

Posted by: TheOx

Hello - 06/01/10 09:54 PM

New to the forum, but not new to hiking. Been hitting the AT for about 13 years as a section hiker (read: do 6 mile days for a week then rent cabin for "decompression", rinse/repeat)

Thought I'd join up to find ways to reduce my load. Im running an Osprey Talon 44 these days, a lighter step from the old standby, the Kelty Red Cloud 5600.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and I'll be checking out your tips! (Careful how you read that smile
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hello - 06/02/10 12:33 AM

Welcome! If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles on lightening your pack and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, from the latest technology to ultra-low-budget alternatives. Also tons of links to reviews and other sites.

Your hiking style sounds a bit like mine! I really don't need the "decompression" afterwards (more like I can't sleep indoors for several days afterwards), but the 6-mile days sound wonderful!
Posted by: TheOx

Re: Hello - 06/02/10 09:51 PM

Thanks for the link, OregonMouse! Gonna check that out