Hammock rentals in Utah

Posted by: Cstolworthy

Hammock rentals in Utah - 04/19/10 09:54 PM

Anyone know of a place that I could rent a hammock in Utah, around the Salt Lake/Provo/Orem area? I can't seem to find anything online, and I have called around a little bit.

After reading a bit about them on the boards here I think I would like to give one a try. I think I would probably end up buying a hammock before I buy a tent, it just seems like it would be more comfortable. But I would want to try it out before I drop the $$$ on one.
Posted by: scottyb

Re: Hammock rentals in Utah - 04/19/10 10:24 PM

If you go on Hammock Forums , there are group hang weekends all over the country and beyond. I know there are some scheduled in CO and AZ. They will bend over backwards to help you and probably allow you to try one out. Plus you would get the benefit of their extensive knowledge.
Posted by: Cstolworthy

Re: Hammock rentals in Utah - 04/19/10 11:21 PM

Sweet! Another forum to troll! Lol, thanks for the link, I just registered. I will be immersed in posts for the next several days laugh
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Hammock rentals in Utah - 04/19/10 11:49 PM

cs,
don't troll in the hammock forum, you will have your wrist slapped by a moderator. By all means, try out hammocks before deciding where to invest your shelter dollar. If you like to winter camp, hammocks for winter are heavier and more costly than 4 season tents. Also above the tree line hammocks aren't so great, so it depends on where you are going to use it.
Jim
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Hammock rentals in Utah - 04/20/10 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By Cstolworthy
Sweet! Another forum to troll!

Err......trolling on an internet forum has a slightly different meaning than trolling a lake. But I think I know what you mean.

I don't know what it costs to rent a hammock, or if it's even possible. But I do know that you can make one quite simply from materials you may already have at home. Or you can buy a few yards of uncoated ripstop nylon quite cheaply. You don't even have to sew anything. Look around online. Instructions abound. I think there is still a video on Youtube. Have fun.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Hammock rentals in Utah - 04/20/10 10:46 AM

I doubt you can rent one. You can call REI, but they don't have much of a selection to buy. I don't know of any other store in the area that has them. Sportsmans and Cabelas sell travel hammocks. I haven't seen any at Kirkhams or Recreational outlet. I doubt the black diamond store has them either. If you don't want to make a cheap one, like they will tell you on hammock forums, then I might be able to let you test mine out. I plan to finish it before the 30th.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Hammock rentals in Utah - 04/20/10 10:22 PM

My first hammock I got off Ebay for about $27US shipped. I think it came from the Phillipines.

It's going on 3 years now and still in use almost every month.