1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed

Posted by: Darwin

1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/04/10 12:36 AM

I need an actual 1 liter wide mouth water bottle with a lid. The 1 liter wide mouth Nalgene is great, EXCEPT for the weight. Do you know of another option, which still is actually 1 liter (not more or less) and has a wide mouth (I need the wide mouth for stirring my SteriPen)? I also hope that the container will have the 100 mL increments on the side of it (like the Nalgene), but I guess I could somehow mark it myself if it doesn't have them.
Posted by: Pika

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/04/10 08:21 AM

You can always try the plastic jars that are used for mayonnaise. Personally, I use a 1 liter Schweppes bottle (tonic or club soda) for carrying and the bottom half of a 2 liter pop bottle (0.7 oz) as a Steripen stirring container. The cut-off pop bottle provides a lot of stirring room and is also an auxiliary camp water container.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/04/10 09:38 AM

Yeah, mayonaise or peanut butter jars are probably your best bet. I have a peanut butter jar I plan on using. It is pretty close to a liter, maybe I should measure. I doubt it is much heavier than a gatoraid bottle.

By the way, why does it have to be exactly 1 liter? What is wrong with close enough?
Posted by: Heber

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/04/10 12:09 PM

I can one of those 1 quart ziploc twist-n-loc containers. Very wide mouth and very lightweight. I keep my kitchen stuff in it (it's just the right size for my heine pot). It's close enough to 1 liter that I set the Steripen on the 1-liter setting.
Posted by: Darwin

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/06/10 08:21 AM

The reason why I'm wanting exactly 1 liter is because that's what my SteriPen treats, that at half a liter.
Posted by: phat

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/06/10 01:34 PM

the difference between a quart and a litre at that point is pretty much irrelevant. a quart is slightly less than a litre.

And I'd be willing to be "quart" ziplocs hold a litre anyway smile

Posted by: finallyME

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/08/10 09:51 AM

Way to be exact. (sarcasm)

You can be a little off and be ok. If it is 32 oz, you will be fine. If it kills everything in 1 liter, then a little less will for sure be killed. If you get a jar (like mayonaise or peanut butter) and it is a little big, draw a line that designates it a liter, then only put that much in. If that line is close to the top (half an inch or so), I bet you will be safe by filling it up all the way. But, if you are still worried, then only fill it one liter.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/08/10 06:51 PM

Darwin
you're missing the point. It doesn't matter what the volume is, its the exposure time, original purity of the water, and that the pen is close enough to all of the water, in other words a liter container 12" in diameter wouldn't be real good because the light source would not be close enough to all of the water.Jim
Posted by: ConnallMac

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/09/10 10:07 PM

Gatorade bottle perhaps?
Posted by: Chinook

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 02/22/13 09:37 PM

Why not a heavy duty Ziploc quart size bag. At home: Fill it with 1 liter, hold the edges together, and mark where 1 liter is located. Out in the field: Fill it up, sterilize, and pour into your regular water bottle. Only weighs .2 oz
Posted by: aimless

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 02/22/13 09:50 PM

As one liter is somewhat larger than one quart, putting a liter into a quart-sized ziploc may be somewhat unwieldy. But there's the germ of a good idea there.
Posted by: rionada

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 02/25/13 01:56 AM

I one qt ziplock holds considerably more than a qt (easily more than a liter)
Posted by: Franco

Re: 1 liter wide mouth water bottle needed - 03/01/13 11:54 PM

I would suggest the 32oz Nalgene Cantene 92 oz , collapsible, -20 to 220f)
Same large secure screw top as the lexan type.
Only marked at 32oz but you can make your own marks and yes if it is going to be a bit more or less than 1Liter it is not going to make any difference when sterilising.