Trail runners for Xmas

Posted by: Jimshaw

Trail runners for Xmas - 12/25/09 06:19 PM

Hey I got some trail runners for christmas, now I guess I can sell my crampon boots eh? eek
Jim crazy
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Trail runners for Xmas - 12/25/09 08:20 PM

You CAN, but I bet you don't. wink

Merry Christmas, Jim.

ps - Got some gift certificates for Christmas - any thoughts on the WM Flash v. Flight jacket? Flash is hooded, Flight isn't; not sure from website if one might be warmer than the other, since they don't list fill weights for both; shell material on the Flash is lighter weight (and more fragile.)
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Trail runners for Xmas - 12/25/09 11:55 PM

Glenn,
It depends... wink
Only you know how you will use it,
however for my money, I have two kinds of down jackets, COATS and lighter jackets. My lighter jacket weighs 25 ounces but its very old REI model probably a TNF nuptse with a label change. I like down stuffed hoods, pockets for my hands and stuff and draw strings at the bottom. I also try to only buy down clothes with some water proof breathable shell. Since I haven't had to replace any of my down gear in 20 years I don't know whats around now or how they stack up.
Don't get one too fragile for your use, you don't want to be leaving feathers on brambles along a trail. I think people make the mistake of too light of down jackets, after all you will most likely put it on when yer cold and then every extra ounce of down is worth its weight in gold, oops I guess its already worth its weight in gold. eek
Jim crazy
edit - the flash looks a lot more serious
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Trail runners for Xmas - 12/26/09 07:30 AM

Thanks, Jim, that's what I needed to know. Here in the east, even in January and February, I rarely hike in more than a layer of midweight longjohns (top and bottom), over a lightweight T-shirt, with maybe a windshirt or shell jacket; it just doesn't get that seriously cold here. So, the down garments would be used for lunch and in-camp warmth - and as backup for the possibility that it drops lower than the range of my sleeping bag. (I match the bag to the predicted lows, but sometimes predictions miss.)

I thought the Flash looked a little more serious, too; I'll probably go that way.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Trail runners for Xmas - 12/26/09 08:37 AM

Yeah--and I find that I don't wear my down jacket on the trail (well, maybe for the first ten minutes) because then i start generating my own heat. The down only comes out once I stop and start cooling down. So I can go with something very lightweight for that. And layers of other stuff for actual on the trail hiking.