Ruined my bag?

Posted by: mud390

Ruined my bag? - 12/16/09 05:36 AM

I recently moved and my down bag was in the compression sack for the better part of 2 months. I've had it laid out about a week now and have been trying to remember to fluff the bag regularly, but the bag doesn't seem to loft as well as it used to. Is it possible I've ruined my bag, or does it just need more time? Thanks!

Kris
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Ruined my bag? - 12/16/09 08:06 AM

Kris, you might pop it into the dryer for a cycle, regular heat, and see if that doesn't fluff it back up. If the bag has been used often it might be in need of a washing. I wash my bags in warm water, light fabric cycle, liquid detergent (i use plain unscented laundry detergent). Then dry, regular heat, until completely dry and fluffy. Your bag may have a special washing instructions tag on it, so follow what it says.

If you've never washed a down bag, first put it in it's stuff sack. Get the water started, detergent added, and about half full in the machine. Submerge your stuffed bag and start slowly pulling it out of the sack. This will keep you from having to squish air out of the bag for the next half hour.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Ruined my bag? - 12/16/09 10:13 AM

I agree with Paul--try the clothes dryer first.

For washing, be sure to use a large front-loading washer, on gentle cycle. The agitator on a top-loading washer will tear your baffles. Trying to spin a sopping wet bag in a top-loading washer might also do serious things to your washer, too. Unless you have a large capacity front-loading washer and a large dryer, you might be better off to visit your local laundromat.

Excellent instructions on washing down sleeping bags on the Western Mountaineering site.
Posted by: mud390

Re: Ruined my bag? - 12/16/09 09:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. The bag has only been used outdoors for two nights last deer season, and both nights were in a camper. Other than that, I used it at home for about 2 weeks before moving, but treated it more like a blanket than a bag. I'll give the drier a go and see what happens. Unfortunately my washer is a top load, not a front load. I don't know of any front load washers around my area either, so hopefully the drier works! Thanks!!!

Kris
Posted by: Howie

Re: Ruined my bag? - 12/17/09 12:31 AM

I have never had a problem washing my bag in our top loader.

Howie
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Ruined my bag? - 12/17/09 08:21 AM

Howie is right....top loaders work fine, since that is what I have as well. Just make sure you do the stuff sack trick, or you'll be wrestling a big, heavy, puffy, mess.

One way to keep your bag fluffy in winter is to leave it out on your bed, unzipped, as a comforter. My trusty 25 year old TNF Chrysalis is still my favorite bag and just as puffy as ever....been washed/dried at least every couple seasons, top loader, no special detergent, high heat. Down is amazing stuff!
Posted by: Bob Lawblah

Re: Ruined my bag? - 12/17/09 11:10 AM

I have found that once a down sleeping bag gets wet, it is never as good as it once was.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Ruined my bag? - 12/17/09 12:23 PM

A lot of whether a bag will survive the top-loading washing machine agitator depends on how lightweight it is--the lighter the bag, the more delicate the internal baffles. I would never put my WM Ultralight in a top-loader! Even small towns have commercial laundromats that have at least one larger size front-loading machine.

Bob, I've successfully washed down items (not my sleeping bag, yet, though--just pillows and comforters) and had them fluff up to their original loft. It takes forever to dry them, and you have to keep stopping to break up all the clumps. 2-3 tennis balls in the dryer help with this, but you still have to do some de-clumping by hand.

I'm lucky in that my lovely daughter-in-law has an extra-large front-loading washer and extra-large dryer. I will be up there for a week in March and will wash my beloved WM bag then.