Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack?

Posted by: fadetoblack6902

Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/16/09 12:27 AM

I am potentially moving to utah to work in wilderness therapy. I will be backpacking for 8 days on a regular basis in the desert and mountains.

I am looking at 2 packs. A 2 year old Kelty Red Cloud 5600 for $60 (used) and a new Kelty Phantom (from an outdoors shop that went out of business) for $100. I have not seen either pack. The phantom appears to be an older model, but quite high end. It's made of Spectra I believe. I have not seen either of these packs yet.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these packs? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/16/09 02:48 AM

ftb6902:

I lugged a Kelty Red Cloud for several years prior to joining this forum in the mid-Double-Zeroes. Looking at the newest Red Cloud 5600's that they're still selling, that important spec is:

Weight: 5 lb. 10 oz. / 2.5 kg

I think they're lightening these things up, because I'm sure my 5600 RC was over 6 pounds empty on my scale, but then it was all heavy cordura and had a bunch of patches sewn on it. (Duh!) blush

That's just too heavy!

Next I had a Kelty Shadow, which isn't a Spectra-fabric pack but it was half the weight of the RC (and held 4400 cu in.) Now I'm using a stayless GoLite Pinnacle that weighs 1 lb. 14 oz. and holds 4400 cu in. instead of 5600. And I love it. Just as man began to walk upright and stopped dragging his knuckles on the ground, so we evolved with our packs, going lighter, pitching the superfluous, until we're treading lighter, enjoying it more, which is what this forum's about.

If you really can get your hands on that Kelty Phantom, run, don't walk to that out-o-bidness place and snag it. Several people on this forum (bigfoot2 and Jimshaw come to mind) have plenty of experience with these and most of the rest of us are salivating for one of those white Spectra packs. This Phantom one, either the 1998 or 2000 model, sold for $575 or so and is probably going for way more than that now. Both are 5500 cu. in. and the older '98 weighs 4 lbs. and the 2000 weighs 1 lb. 4 oz. without the attached bags.

Definitely get it (be it the '98 or '00) tomorrow (tonight) if this is for real. And ask them if they have a second one . . . and if they say yes, PM me, whistle please.

(note: we had a topic on [b]Kelty Spectra packs not that long ago; might be in winter hiking.)[/b]

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/16/09 09:38 AM

How is the suspension on the kelty phantom? It seems like internal frame suspensions have come a long way in 10 years. does it stand up to the modern packs?
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/16/09 02:22 PM

Dude, listen to Kev...just get the pack, already!! Not everything new is better. Awesome suspension on the Clouds.

BF cool

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/16/09 11:14 PM

I plan to get the pack tomorrow. The guy had a tight schedule today or it would be mine already. Sure sounds like an amazing pack.

He's saying these are 5650 cu. The big ones as good as the 5500 cu bags?
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/17/09 10:52 AM

If you don't like it, i'll take it off your hands!! Can always use a spare wink

BF cool

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/17/09 11:31 AM

Sorry, meant to say they're 6600 cu. huge!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/17/09 12:07 PM

Just get it--it's obvious that if you don't like it, you can sell it at a profit!
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/17/09 12:30 PM

ftb:

If/when you get it, give us the details and a pic of it if you can swing it. (Like how that didn't get snatched up by someone B4 now). So some of us can vicariously savor the moment of finding a rare "steal" that I bet you'll enjoy using.

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/18/09 06:08 PM

I picked it up today! Looks like a 2000 model, in perfect condition. Here's a couple pics

I'm not sure I see the compression straps though, should it have them? Any tips as to the best way to lash sleeping bags/pads/tents onto the tent if they don't go inside?

I managed to pick 2 of these up, and the second is going on ebay in a day or two. He said he might have one more, he just has to find it. If he does and I decide not to take it I'll let you guys know.

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/18/09 08:23 PM

Actually, it looks more like the 2002 Cloud 6500. Oh well, still a nice pack. Edit: looks like it retailed for $650. Does this sound right?

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/19/09 12:16 AM

better pics

Re: Kelty Red Cloud or Kelty Phantom pack? - 12/21/09 04:49 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Kelty-Clou...=item414b9bacd7