Sunglasses Reccomendations Please

Posted by: JWE

Sunglasses Reccomendations Please - 12/11/09 01:33 AM

I'd like to buy a better pair of sunglasses than the pair I have now and would like to know what others are using. I really don't want to buy a $120 pair of Oakleys if they aren't worth it.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Sunglasses Reccomendations Please - 12/11/09 11:50 AM

I have two kids that work at "Sunglass Hut". They both sell lots of expensive sunglasses. Here's what they tell me.

"Maui Jim's" have the best lenses."

They bought me a pair that I've been wearing for over a year and a half now. I've worn sunglass nearly everyday for over 36 years. The Maui Jim's are indeed the best pair I've ever had. The lenses have nearly perfect optics, are polarized, and the most scratch resistant I've ever had, and the frames are ultra light and nearly unbreakable. I've never had a pair hold up as well as them, not even close.

That said, they are way too expensive and I'd never pay that much for a pair myself. I've heard the owner of Maui Jim's has likened selling his sunglasses for that much money to "Printing my own money."

But, both my kids also say that the Maui's are a much better value than Oakleys and the best on the market. They sell both brands, Oakleys are made by the parent company of Sunglass Hut, Maui's are not.

I do know that if you buy from Sunglass Hut they will exchange the glasses or refund your money for, I think, up to 90 days. And, Maui Jim's will replace the lenses for a lifetime for, at present, $60.00, if you send the glasses to them.

Personally, I have always worn polarized sunglasses. They still cut glare better than any of the newer coatings I've tested and I test them all when I visit my kids at work wink

Tan colored polarized lenses let in more light, and allow you to see underwater a lot better than other shades. They are the best there is for when you're fishing. The darker (grey) lenses are better on very bright days, especially bright days with snow on the ground.

That sums up about all I know about the subject. Hope it helps.

Posted by: Paul

Re: Sunglasses Reccomendations Please - 12/11/09 02:19 PM

My eyes are very light sensitive (blue eyes often seem to be more so than brown in my experience) so I need very dark lenses. Plus I like to be at high altitudes and sometimes also on the snow at high altitudes. So my glasses are very dark - manaufacurer says I'm not supposed to drive in them(!) Julbo Colorado is what I use - they are glacier glasses, only about 5% light transmission. Excellent value at about 40 or 50 bucks. Julbo makes various other glasses with other levels of light transmission, and all are good values. I also use some Smith glasses for around town. and I have some older Bolle's as my backup glasses for backcountry ski trips - can't take a chance on being without glasses there. Those are not as dark as my Julbo's, and do better in flat light conditions like an overcast day on the snow.
I had a couple pairs of Oakleys, which i liked - nice lenses - but the frames broke twice in normal use. I got a warranty replacement the first time, but gave up the second time.
Posted by: bigb

Re: Sunglasses Reccomendations Please - 12/11/09 04:51 PM

I am a sunglass snob, but I will say if your looking for a pair to backpack in, you will need durability in the frame along with the lense. I where Nike glasses to work everyday, most days I swing hammers and tend to be hard on sunglasses. In 5 years I am on my second pair, I where the same pair to backpack in. They are polarized and double as my safety glasses on the job, can't ask for more.

I've owned most of the higher end sunglasses over the years, mostly due to stupidity considering how much they cost, but if your looking for the best lenses for clarity and true color in a pair a sunglasses Revo are the best I've ever owned and still where them till this day where durability is not an issue.