Yak Trax vs. Kahtoola Microspikes

Posted by: Darwin

Yak Trax vs. Kahtoola Microspikes - 12/07/09 10:08 PM

For hiking/backpacking on snowy/icy trails, which do you think is best Yak Trax Pro's or Kahtoola Microspikes?

Darwin
daroos@indiana.edu
Posted by: Keith

Re: Yak Trax vs. Kahtoola Microspikes - 12/07/09 10:21 PM

I use Yaktrax around here and they are just fine. I also used my Yaktrax successfully in the Grand Canyon in early January on two different occasions. Last time I was coming up the S. Kaibab, I met a guy at Cedar Ridge with the Katoola's. They are way cool and I would want them in a situation where there was seriously angled ice. But for on trail icy conditions I would say they are way overkill in terms of effectiveness and of course much heavier.

Do get the more expensive Yaktrax with the arch strap, though. Otherwise, you can have issues with stability and staying on your feet.

Posted by: packin.law.man

Re: Yak Trax vs. Kahtoola Microspikes - 12/11/09 03:50 PM

I have the microspikes and love them. they fit very snug and secure on my hiking boots and give excellent traction on anything from mud snow or ice.. The only downfall I have seen so far is they are only available in one color - red - which after been exposed to sun and used quite heavily, mine have turned more into a pinkish color...