How do I avoid chafing?

Posted by: Darwin

How do I avoid chafing? - 09/26/09 09:56 PM

How do I avoid chafing in my inner thigh/groin area? I wear loose boxers, but I still get chafing.
Is there a different kind of underwear that I can wear or is there another way of avoid this kind of chafing?

Darwin
daroos@indiana.edu

Posted by: Echterling

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/26/09 10:31 PM

What kind of conditions?

I never have problems in the cold (where I prefer to spend my time).

In environments like jungle and rainforest, I skip the underwear. It only causes problems.

If going commando doesn't help, try some desitin/A&D ointment/bodyglide or something along those lines.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/27/09 12:18 AM

I have used vasoline, A&D, baby oil, and even bag balm.
Posted by: bigfoot2

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/27/09 01:10 AM

Body Glide is great stuff. Always use it when i wear my kilt and never had a problem.

BF cool
Posted by: Eric

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/27/09 01:51 AM

Spandex shorts (like bicycle tights but without the padding).
Posted by: gottoys2000

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/28/09 12:11 AM

Chapstick actually works well.
Posted by: phat

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/28/09 09:24 AM

body glide, or band-aid blister stick works good.

Apply liberally to the areas you get chafing *before* you start hiking.

The other thing that helps is keeping things clean. I take a baby wipe or wet cloth and wash the area thoroughly once a day, and when I do I re-apply the body glide.

When I do this, I'm completely fine for weeks. when I don't, I can usually be so chafed after 2-3 days that I walk bowlegged for a week after hiking.
Posted by: Rick

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/28/09 09:59 AM

We call that Monkey Paw. eek I have no idea why.

I switched to boxers with loose fitting legs and it is no longer a problem.
Posted by: chris

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/28/09 08:49 PM

Absolutely avoid cotton!!! I had some really bad chaffing until I switched to synthetic boxers like the ones from Ex Officio. That made all the difference for me. The cotton holds onto any moisture and causes the chaffing. I've swam and then hiked in my Ex Officio boxers and not had any problem.

Bodyglide is great too.
Posted by: scottyb

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/29/09 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By chris
Absolutely avoid cotton!!! I had some really bad chaffing until I switched to synthetic boxers like the ones from Ex Officio. That made all the difference for me. The cotton holds onto any moisture and causes the chaffing. I've swam and then hiked in my Ex Officio boxers and not had any problem.

Bodyglide is great too.

I agree. I used to have this problem but no more. I have had great success with Under Armor Boxer Jocks. I just completed 9 days in Grand Canyon, rafting, hiking, and sleeping in them. They were wet most of the day while on the river, then frequently soaked in creeks, while on the long hot hikes. No problems but pricey. They also wash and dry quickly.
Posted by: dla

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/29/09 12:49 PM

You can get some pretty good poly/spandex boxer-briefs at Target - that's what I use. They're like $8 each but they last a long time. As others mentioned, avoid cotton.
Posted by: phat

Re: How do I avoid chafing? - 09/29/09 02:06 PM

I also wear nice poly underwear which helps, but I've found nothing that will completely prevent it for me - other than body glide or some kind of "lube", and keeping clean.