gear buying help

Posted by: Marc

gear buying help - 07/15/09 04:35 PM

backcountry.com just emailed me yesterday with an offer to buy anything at half off.
I was estatic. Here is my credit card ... load me up.
I should mention that it is only one item half off but I was still excited. My brain ran through my wish list like Dick Butkus through a Packer left guard.
There is nothing on my list that they have.
Not the tent I want, not the cookset I want, not the GPS I want, nothing.
I have the sleeping bag and pad I want. Nothing else.
They must have something I need and am totally unaware of.
I have told you I am totally new to this, I intend to spend the entire summer ( hopefully 2010 ) in Yellowstone regardless of any obstacles.
Clothes will be the last thing I buy. They were the first things I bought: boots,pants,t-shirts,longunderwear,etc. Six months of retirement has made me rethink the pants. Point being clothes will have to wait ( or weight ).
There must be something I need, and only asking experienced people will give me that answer. I would hate to be miles from anywhere and wish I had it.
Any advice and help you can give me ( on top of the mountain of help already given ) would be very much appreciated.
Posted by: jpanderson80

Re: gear buying help - 07/15/09 06:00 PM

What type of hiking will you be doing?

Will you be living on the trail for days or weeks at a time... OR... will you be taking short 1-2 day hikes?
Posted by: Pika

Re: gear buying help - 07/15/09 06:03 PM

The only advice I can give you is to check your gear list against those of contributors to this forum and others and to look for items you feel you might need. I have one posted at http://www.backpackinglight.com/backpack...a40f980fecd.pdf that has changed little and mainly in the tent I now use.

To quote my father, "don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket". Give each potential purchase a lot of thought especially along the lines of need versus want. Also, give each item a lot of thought along the lines of weight versus potential problems such as condensation; lightest is not always the best. Trust me, there is a lot of cool stuff out there, cleverly packaged and marketed that one can want ; far less that you really need.

Did I mention that I have a bridge in downtown NY City that I am thinking of selling? grin
Posted by: Bearpaw

Re: gear buying help - 07/15/09 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By Marc
Any advice and help you can give me ( on top of the mountain of help already given ) would be very much appreciated.

Take the $100 or so you would spend on gear, and finance a trip with it within the next 12 days. You'll appreciate the memories more than another piece of gear you don't need.

Re: gear buying help - 07/15/09 08:14 PM

Hi JP

I will be dayhiking on average 3 out of every 4 days.

The majority of my time will be at developed campgrounds, ie: showers, laundry, cheeseburgers, etc.

I will have to travel backcountry to get from one developed campsite to another. Depending on what is available I may be in the backcountry from 2or 3 to 10 days. All depends on me and what is available.

Re: gear buying help - 07/15/09 08:33 PM

Thanks Pika

If I did not have my heart set on Yellowstone I might consider going to NY and give that bridge of yours a look see. It would be the first time I ever considered going there.
I trust it is a toll bridge.
When embarking on any new challenge, need and want can be a fine line. Not knowing the difference is why I am obviously displaying my ignorance in a public forum.

Re: gear buying help - 07/15/09 08:58 PM

Hi bearpaw

I basically have no gear and did not want to let an opportunity to aquire something at half off slip away.

I agree that memories are worth 1000 times more than any gear I may carry or could possibly purchase. I would prefer however that those memories be my own and handed down to loved ones by word of mouth. I would hate for a mistake in my gear to prevent that from happening.
Posted by: Pika

Re: gear buying help - 07/15/09 09:14 PM

Hey Marc, I have enough bridges that I'll save one for you. Actually, I would prefer Yellowstone myself but there is another guy who has it on the market. grin
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: gear buying help - 07/15/09 10:27 PM

Golite had a deal a month ago or less, 40% off everything on their site. I was really tempted to get another pack, but really don't need another pack at this point. The current model pack I wanted would have been cheaper then the 08 clearance packs ever were this winter. Plus, I need new tires for my pickup. A good deal is no good if there isn't a thing you want or need.:(
Posted by: BarryP

Re: gear buying help - 07/20/09 12:21 PM

“There is nothing on my list that they have.”
“They must have something I need and am totally unaware of.”

I feel the pain crazy.
Well, it’s fun having a wish list. These aren’t high expense items but they are handy with me. How about some 1L platy bottles?
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/CAS0448/Platypus-Platy-Bottle.html

I know you already have the pad, but how about a loaner pad for your spouse
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Therm-a-Rest-Neoair-Sleeping-Pad/CAS0503M.html

I know you said you don’t want clothes, but ˝ price on a wind jacket looks good; such as http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/GoLite-Ether-Jacket-Mens/GOL0307M.html

Let us know what you decide!

-Barry

Re: gear buying help - 07/20/09 05:04 PM

Thank you for the suggestions Barry.
While both the water bottle and jacket are things I will some day need, I have decided it would be in the best interest for me and my bank account to make an attempt at patience.
There will be other sales.
I also shamefully realize that my original post was (to be kind to me) rather rediculous. I would like to apologize for wasting the time of everyone who read it.