Where did picaridin go?

Posted by: Dryer

Where did picaridin go? - 07/08/09 12:34 PM

I like picaridin insect repents, primarily because they work for me, don't smell as acrid as DEET, and don't melt my kayaks and other plastic bits. Nowhere I've shopped seems to carry it this year and it was available everywhere last year.
Where did it go??
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/08/09 01:19 PM

I know, I've looked for it too. Wal-Mart has eight kinds of Deet and nothing else.

They do carry BioUD, and I use it on clothes, but I don't like it on my skin either. The picaridin is better than anything else for that.

I'll let you know if I see it in any chain stores.

Bill
Posted by: MattnID

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/08/09 01:50 PM

Well, I dunno if you guys have Fred Meyer's down there, but if you do I've seen the stuff there a few weeks ago.
Posted by: phat

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/08/09 04:04 PM

Unobtainium in the great white north, so I got some a couple
years ago at REI (http://www.rei.com/product/785878 - and similar).

I did a bit of a side by side with deet. better for smell and melties, unfortunately for me not as long lasting or as effective on bugs as 100% deet.. and by the time I use any repellent they are in carry me off levels so I need it bad, and I've stuck with DEET.

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/08/09 05:43 PM

Quote:
unfortunately for me not as long lasting or as effective on bugs as 100% deet..

No question, DEET is still more effective overall, but picaridin keeps biting flies off my legs in the boat, best. Don't know why...they just don't like it, and it doesn't melt the boat or take the finish off the wood, or haze my watch crystal, or GPS screen.

I did find the stuff at Walgreens and CVS, online. I'll check the stores and report back.
Posted by: Bearpaw

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/09/09 10:51 AM

We still carry 20% picaridin from Sawyer at the REI where I work.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/09/09 01:23 PM

I’ve been buying this one at my Walmarts (3 in Springfield): http://www.rei.com/product/785882
It has worked well keeping off bugs and I have never gotten sunburn (or tan) for the whole day. I like the stuff.

-Barry
Posted by: johnq62

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/10/09 09:26 AM

Have you tried Permethrin?
I've used Sawyer brand to wash my clothes in for year or so but this past spring I was tired of spending the cash for it. I went to the local farm store and found a quart for $12. I dilute it 1oz. per 5 gallons water. I use a bucket to soak sox,shirts,pants,hat in let them dry on the clothes line then, use the rinse cycle in the washing machine. Finally dry in the dryer.

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/10/09 01:35 PM

Quote:
Have you tried Permethrin?

For clothes maybe. Picaridin works best on my skin, plus I usually go for a swim or three when paddling. It's weird....little biting flies hang out in the cockpit of my yaks and can stay there clear across the lake unless I can swat 'em. Picaridin seems to keep them off better than DEET. Too hot here to wear a spray skirt, or I would.

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/10/09 01:53 PM

“I went to the local farm store and found a quart for $12.”

I tried that with permethrin I found at a pet store; just so I could save money. It didn’t work near as well. It seems Sawyer and Permanone have some chemicals that keeps permethrin bonded to clothes.

-Barry
Posted by: johnq62

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/10/09 03:31 PM

Barry,
The qt I bought is 35% Permethrin,for livestock,hence the

dilution. I have 2 washings on my hiking clothes that kept me sane last week in the Pictured Rocks without DEET, my hiking partner with DEET (25% I think) was having fits with the black flies and skeeters.
We met a tarp camper in Grand Marais that just hung "juiced" bandanas he kept in a baggie under his tarp.
All I know is that it works for me.

I see your from IL. Do you ever make it to the U.P.?
Living under the bridge the Porkies (besides Isle Royle) is my fav,but,way to far for me for anything under a 10 weekend.
Have you ever been to the Apostles? Is it worth the time? or stay with the Trap hills,Porkies?
We plan on 2 weeks this Sept. in the U.P.

P.s. PIc can be had here in Mi. Meijer carries it.

Re: Where did picaridin go? - 07/13/09 05:46 PM

Hello Johnq62.
The only experience I have with MI is doing a lot of mountain biking in the Manistee National forest and doing some kayaking in the pine river near Wellston. You have good country.

If you’re talking about the Apostle Islands in WI, no, I have never been there. The trails look short. Would you kayak from island to island?

My cheaper permethrin didn’t kill as much ticks as the Permanone. That’s why I got frustrated.

-Barry