Hiking Partner?

Posted by: Emily A

Hiking Partner? - 06/16/09 03:28 PM

Hi,

I am new to this site. I want to start backpacking, but before I do, I want to get in shape by hiking. Can I use this forum to find a hiking partner in my area? (Sorry, I don't know if I am posting this in the right place or not.)

Thanks!
Posted by: sabre11004

Re: Hiking Partner? - 06/16/09 07:37 PM

It would be nice to know where you will be trekking and when you will be doing it. What part of the country do you live in. I think some in here would like being a partner just to get out and walk...sabre11004... welcome welcome
Posted by: rockraven

Re: Hiking Partner? - 06/16/09 11:36 PM

Well I'm in Tn. but I'm thinking about heading that way. Maybe well cross paths.

I'll be with my dog, Buddy. A mostly white American Bulldog, St. Bernard mix.
Posted by: MountainMinstrel

Re: Hiking Partner? - 06/16/09 11:54 PM

Try this http://www.meetup.com/Portland-Hiking-Group/
Meetup is a great way to connect with people in your area that have like interests. That link is to Meetups Portland Hiking Enthusiasts group. They appear to be a very active group.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hiking Partner? - 06/17/09 03:21 PM

Ah, another Oregonian! We Portland-area folk live in a virtual paradise for hiking--the Cascades, the Gorge, the Coast Range, the beach, and even a 7,000 acre mostly wilderness park (Forest Park) in the middle of the city!

I highly recommend this site: PortlandHikers.org Their home page has links to the Portland-area hiking clubs and to other groups that regularly sponsor group hikes. Going with one or more of these groups is your best way to get started and gain experience. You don't have to be a member to go on the hikes. Some of the groups also schedule backpacks, which would be your best way to get started in that area as well.

There is a ton of info on places to hike in the PortlandHikers.org Field Guide.

Be sure to read the articles on this site's "TLB Home" page (see "site links" to your left)--they're listed in the left-hand column. The "Hiking Essentials" and the "Day Hiking Gear List" are particularly important for a beginning day hiker.

And welcome to this forum!